Author Topic: Project Last Anglo-American Hero  (Read 8969 times)

AC Ventura

• View Profile
Re: Project Last Anglo-American Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 12:06:28 »
Project 427 FE Mk IV

Made some real progress yesterday. Drivers RHD footbox cut out and narrowed,  pedal box cantilever frame cut through......all without sawing through alloy body, just 3/4” away. Now all set to shorten the box as no longer have to accommodate cable clutch quadrant. Determined that it will look factory to untrained eyes. It’s one thing that is working with me and will introduce more air into and out of engine bay, now the wing vents are unrestricted.
 Next will be shortening the pedal box, moving the column 2” where it exits into the engine bay.
 We will make a one piece bulkhead to bulkhead transmission tunnel, so the gearbox, bellhousing, clutch can all be removed from the interior, leaving the big motor in situ.
 All the experts have told me that you can’t make a good job of this installation, but that doesn’t mean you can do the best job that’s been done. Maybe a better job job, than even Autokraft did of the 11 427s they made. Certainly there’s room for improvement there, despite the Mk IV being a generally very well constructed car. Even has a prop roll hoop as standard. I wonder how many Mk IV owners know that?
 I’m also aware that in the end we have to detune the engine a little to make it more driveable, but that’s months and months away.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 12:12:39 »
Narrowing, prior to shortening the footwell.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 18:08:14 »
 Finally the new design pedal box and relocated/remade steering column were finally welded up and installed today. I'm pleased to have been able to optimise a specific design for the Mk IV and improve on the standard parts, that were not really designed for this car. The new pedal box should be superior to the standard item as it will be attached to chassis at the bottom.
 We've fought for every 1/8" in this incredibly tight packag and the offset pedals are normally a big problem. But despite the new OE spec 16" Mota-Lita steering wheel, we found we could relocate the all new dual ball bearing steering column, 1" to the right. This allows proper clutch operation with the sole, not side of your shoe.
 It might look simple and obvious but everything is CAD designed and CNC'd with compound angles everywhere. Its rock solid and the steering is smooth, with no play or binding at all.
 Next will be remanufacturing the footwells to their original state. It will look unchanged, but the gap between them will be 3 " wider.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 13:21:55 »
First photo shows the improved cooling for the 460 Cobra Jet engine.
2-stage fan with shroud, now on the backside of the radiator....far better than before.

Hi Hobo, what is the source of the 2 stage sucker fan you installed? How are the two stages commanded?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 13:24:11 by MkIV Lux »