Author Topic: Update on 15inch tyres for Cobras  (Read 2432 times)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
Update on 15inch tyres for Cobras
« on: August 15, 2006, 19:25:32 »
I have today spoken with a member of the Technical Department at Avon Racing about the new CR6ZZ Tyres. The gentleman I spoke to was actually responsible for bringing the big 15inch tyres into production and was aware of a serious need for these units.
   So if you have a Cobra originally fitted with 16inch wheels and you would like to convert to 15inch, the tyres are as follows. For the front use the 215/60x15 [they are full in size] and on the back use the 275/55x15. These sizes will give you a rolling radius close to the original 16inch units so the speedo should read resonably accurately.
   Please be aware these are race quality tyres made road legal and I am advised they are of the highest quality and easily out perform in all areas any of the tyres the Cobras were originally Factory fitted with. I am told the improvement using the CR6ZZ's over our originals will be amazing!! Although only fitting them will prove this of course.
   I have raised the point about tyre ageing and expected life once a tyre is fitted to a car. In working with Avon's whilst I was at Aston's I was informed the road tyre life from the point of manufacture was about 5 years, this was reconfirmed today. If you have a CRS Cobra, like myself which was manufactured in 2000 and it still has its original tyres fitted, they really need replacing now, due to age. This fact is very important to all Cobra owners who do little miles in the car and the tyres although having plenty of tread on them are quite old. As the tyres age they harden and loose grip. Cobras can be twitchey enough in the best of conditions without old hard tyres.
   Now if you have 16inch wheels and dont wish to convert to 15inch units, today I had a good chance to inspect the suitable rear  application 255/50x16 Mitchelin Pilot sport units. These are superb and appear to be of a very soft compound and I suspect will prove excellent.
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens