Author Topic: 1965 ac cobra - is it real?  (Read 12354 times)

jonner

• View Profile
1965 ac cobra - is it real?
« on: July 18, 2007, 14:29:04 »
Dear all,

Can someone please tell me what model this Cobra is. The owner says its a 1965, but is it the real deal - or a replica, who built it and price range for the car, please.

It is currently in the Middle East for sale, imported two months ago from Japan. They have a knack of importing the stuff that the Japanese don't want, which has raised my concerns of its originality. I know nothing of these cars...

Many thanks all. Jon

jon.saxon@evo-me.com

jonner

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 14:44:31 »
it has 465KM, so the ad reads, with a M/T 7000CC engine

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 18:48:43 »
Hi Jonner. It`s as likely to be a real Cobra as I am likely to be adopted by Madonna.
   I particularly like the dashboard made from an old veneer sideboard that`s been left out in the rain for a year or 2.
   Does it have a price on it? Bearing in mind that original 427 SC`s sell for many hundreds of thousands of dollars?
   Can you see any sort of chassis plate inside the engine bay?
   Offer them $20k & work up from there!
   If you post the same question on the Club Cobra Forum someone may be able to identify the manufacturer from the front suspension.
   Best regards & happy sleuthing, Nik.

jonner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 19:08:15 »
Thanks Nik, I poured over many pictures of originals and concluded it was replica, but wanted to know how much it was worth. They are asking 30,000 UK, which is why I haven't been back. Thanks for your words. I love the sideboard dash too.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 21:27:29 »
God I feel ill. Offer them $20K and work rapidly DOWN from there. What's the scrap value? You can sometimes understand why CS gets a tad hot under his stetson.

kiwi427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 07:46:29 »
Well thanks for clearing up my doubt on the question of this forum being replica friendly or not?
   I promise not to mention the 'R' word again as I would hate to offend anyone here. I'm here to make friends!

Regards,
           Nigel.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:38:37 »
Personally I have nothing against replicas - see my Cobra books - unless it's a bad replica. (I speak only for myself on that one!!) Any form of automotive transport that thinks a bit of old sideboard makes a neat dash will not be getting my vote! Not to mention a bit of old angle-iron for a handbrake? I've driven (and throughly enjoyed) numerous replicas, including being chauffered by the late and much-missed Bob Olthoff in an SPF, but if anyone offered me a ride/drive in the vehicle in question I'd find a good reason to be elsewhere.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 18:16:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by kiwi427

Well thanks for clearing up my doubt on the question of this forum being replica friendly or not?

Certainly NOT anti-replica myself!
   Ditto Trevor`s comment regarding good or bad replicas, OK, a vast amount of it is down to personal taste, but don`t expect an easy resale if you opt for a pink naugahyde interior!
   Building replicas was nearly my business of choice in the late 80`s, but that`s another story!
   The quality of engineering in most of the currently available replicas is certainly on a par with some smaller mainstream manufacturers, and I couldn`t be happier than if I went to my garage & found a Hawk 39PH replica waiting for me! (Ask "Hawk 289" on this forum about his enviable stable!)
   My only issue is with misrepresenting a replica as real or trying to get top money for a 'not top' car from the unsuspecting Joe Public.
   It`s hard to tell from these photographs, but it certainly doesn`t look like a £30k car to me. Maybe Mr.L was a tad uncharitable...
   but could you live with that dash? [;)]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 00:31:17 »
Moi? Uncharitable??? Bah humbug. (Gotta get my kicks somehow) It's always hard to judge any car from a few images on a computer so I can only call it the way I see it. Now if I was in Really Bad Mood, I'd get onto the matter of the badges on the car. Both Shelby American and AC-copyright logos, both of which are actionable. But as I'm in such a good mood, I won't even raise the issue... :-) Can't say fairer than that!

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:43:02 »
No it's not real, it's a hologram!

kiwi427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 09:06:35 »
The way I see it Mr CS did not do anything too original himself when he roughly assembled an assortment of everyone elses components to come up with what became the Cobra. I feel I have just followed on in the same tradition.
   I agree though! that slab off the side of grandmothers old piano just does not belong. If you are going to do it, it has to be right.
   And yes misrepresenting a replica as the real thing is a crime.

Have a nice weekend all,
                            Nigel.

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 20:16:39 »
The arches don't seem correctly proportioned, funnily enough the seats look quite 'period' for a replica, its as though the guy lost interest halfway through the build..?

Paul/runt.[:)]