Author Topic: Scans of AC 428 Frua Articles & Ad's...  (Read 41082 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Scans of AC 428 Frua Articles & Ad's...
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2007, 13:03:39 »
quote:
Finally I'm left somewhat puzzled by this one. I'm no expert but as it's such a clear picture I'm wondering why Frua didn't extend the grille or mesh itself all the way down to the bottom of the middle opening ? It's not a visible area normally so surely that would have improved perhaps even solved the overheating problems ?

Two rough photo manipulations ref the idea of larger opening areas below the front bumper that might reduce overheating ? With a chromed crinkly close wire mesh covering the same as on the latest Bentleys.... !!  I kinda go for the second pic too - cool...[8D]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2007, 01:24:12 »
New Arrival:
   "The AC 428: Sophisticated big brother to the Cobra..."

Unfortunately I have no idea as to which magazine this article was clipped from [but it was probably from the same magazine as the previous couple of scanned articles I've posted].  Sorry, that was how I bought it...

The good news [from my viewpoint] is that it has a rather nice three-quarter's rear shot of UPG 428F [CF 7] which now resides in my Garage...

Larger scans in a variety of sizes are located here...:
   http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/ac_428_big_brother/

Enjoy!

--  Chuck

P.S. Sorry but this exhausts the articles I have on hand.  I continue to look for more, but until I do, this will have to hold us for a while.  --  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2008, 02:21:34 »
New Arrival:
   "AC 428: Modified: Fast and Furious:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/200706_classics_monthly/

I have to say, I got the biggest kick out of reading this article...  I'm more of a Purist when it comes to the AC 428...  Try to keep them as original as possible, upgrades as necessary for drivability or if originals aren't available.  But it's GREAT to know what a C6 Automatic coupe is capable of.  Now we have some baseline information on a highly modified AC 428.

Enjoy!

--  Chuck

P.S. Sorry but this once again exhausts the articles I have on hand.  I continue to look for more, but until I do, this will have to hold us for a while.  --  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2008, 21:15:45 »
Another week on eBay, another New Arrival:
   AUTOCAR 16 October 1969 Advertizement:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/19691016_autocar_ad/

An interesting data point for Classicus is the License plate on this Fastback [ UPG 428H ] which is a mere two letters from the original License plate on my CF 7 [ UPG 428F ] which was the factory press car.  Perhaps this is a picture of CF 8 or CF 10 [just guessing...]?

Enjoy!

--  Chuck

P.S. Sorry but this once again exhausts the articles/advertisements I have on hand.  I continue to look for more.  eMail your favorite eBay sellers and crack the whip!!!  --  Chuck

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2008, 12:50:30 »
T'is interesting and a very nice collection you're starting to build up too ! I checked up on the official geographic area letter codes that used to be used at the time and it seems they altered the system from September 2001 on, so referring to the URL below it's the second column about halfway down that would relate to all 428 earlier registrations.

http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/where/gb.htm

Only guessing as well but given they are two almost identical number/ registration plates - as separate and quite distinct from paper licence discs that had and still have to be displayed on the windscreen - barring the last year letter, all I can think of is that someone in Thames Ditton had a good eye for publicity plus a sense of humour ! Anyway as it was always the last two letters at the beginning that referred at the time, so "PG" would have been the code used by the old Guildford Motor Vehicle Licensing office (or whatever they used to be called), i.e. the nearest licensing office to Thames Ditton.

As to which chassis number it is or was on no idea unfortunately, hopefully all will be revealed one day I hope on a replacement Register ?

Paul/ Cass  [:)]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:46 »
Received the following via email tonight:
    On Mar 13, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Keith Lessiter wrote:

Hi Chuck.

Scanning through a few old boxes last night, Came across these little gems
   and thought you and the ACOC Forum might appreciate the following two
   previews of AC428s from / at the 1967 & 1968 "Earls Court" London Motor
   Shows.

Very Expensive cars at the time,  But now  £ or $ they are  great value , An
   AC making a Statement with real attitude!

Having trouble posting on the Forum,  Maybe you could do the honours,
   Sorry to be so cheeky.

Enjoy!!

Keith
   BEX333 (AC Ace Bristol)

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

AC428  Daily Mail Motor Preview 1967

AC 428  Daily Express Motor Show Preview 1968

--------------------------------------

My sincere thanks to Keith for sending me these scans and granting me permission to post them on his behalf!

--  Chuck

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2008, 16:12:41 »
Chuck

Many thanks for posting the 1967 /1968  London Motor Show data on my behalf. much appreciated.

Must learn to use the Bucket. So to speak. thanks once again.

Keith

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2008, 18:39:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Chuck

Many thanks for posting the 1967 /1968  London Motor Show data on my behalf. much appreciated.

Must learn to use the Bucket. So to speak. thanks once again.

Keith

My pleasure Keith.  I took the liberty of straightening them and tweaking the brightness and congrast settings a little bit.  Also corrected a little bit of the "Sepia-ing" of the paper in the topmost one.

Enjoy!

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2008, 12:23:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by cmaddox3...An interesting data point for Classicus is the License plate on this Fastback [ UPG 428H ] which is a mere two letters from the original License plate on my CF 7 [ UPG 428F ] which was the factory press car....Chuck

For those not too familiar with the UK registration number (license plate) system, 'F' refers to vehicles registered from 8/67 - 7/68 and 'H' from 8/69 - 7/70...not neccesarily related to date of manufacture!

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2008, 16:27:22 »
Thanks for these Chuck, Toni Valenti's car is sensational, interesting how the 0-100 time is four sec quicker than the 'stock' version, I wonder what kind of power/torque its making, great to see a different angle on a beautiful classic.

Paul.[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2008, 17:21:06 »
I think the main problem these cars have with doing fast 0-60 and 0-100 times are 3 folds:

1) Most important is tire size, lack of traction. Tires are ridiculously skinny. No matter how much power you have, if you can't apply it to the road, it's useless. Toni Valenti's car uses very wide Pin drive Halibrand Cobra wheels, 335 at the rear. This is a lot of meat on the ground! not much spinning there.

2) Rear end ratio. The Frua is geared very long from the factory, 2.88 for the auto-box version and 3.08 for the 4 speed model. Gearing it down for racing to let say 3.54 of shorter will increase acceleration substantially.

3) Although Toni's car is still using the C6 box, a 4 or 5 speed transmission will also increase acceleration. However, with a very short rear end the difference is reduced.

With proper tire quality, size and gearing the Frua can easily be made to accelerate as about as quick as a Cobra, the longer wheelbase will also help. The car is still quite light compared to US muscle cars.

Emmanuel[:)]

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2008, 19:05:53 »
Hi Emmanuel, points noted, was just thinking though that those heads,cam, blueprinting must 'warm up' the 428 FE; be interested in your 'guestimate' of power output here, as I know youre well up on these engines, didn't notice which axle ratio Tony is using, as to.. grip, I wanted SO MUCH to use 15" wheel/tyre on my 'k*t car'[:I]; but went for the 16" so I could fit the Toyo (to avoid my car becoming a widowmaker), glad I did.. I may be a dinosaur in many ways, but modern tyres are amazing.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2008, 19:25:15 »
Well Paul, in my humble opinion, a well set up 428 can easily be right up in the mid to high 400HP range. Torque can be easily above 500Lbs with the proper cam. Above that, reliability will be seriously compromised unless the block is heavily modified (oil passages will have to be drilled and cross bolting should be added). Since Toni races the car, with the big tires, my guess is a very short rear end, probably even higher than 3.54! When I install my new "big" motor, I will do away with the wire wheels and go to pin drive halibrands as well. Probably 16" or 17" for tire reasons. [:)]

regards,

Emmanuel

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2008, 22:10:37 »
That's going to be very special Emmanuel,the Halibrands look wonderful on all these cars, wise move re; tyres.
   The ability of CF 7 with auto tanny and 2.88 diff to reach the 'ton' in fourteen is I think a great credit to the lugging power of the stock 428 motor,incidentally looking at the 'headers' on Toni's car; are those stock 428 Frua item,looking at my road tests of CF 7 I can't be sure (and my close vision is rubbish these days!)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2008, 00:24:48 »
Here is my car as currently setup with the 428!

The new set up will be similar except single belt because of the big 427 balancer! Aviaid 10 Quarts aluminum baffled oil pan, the intake will not be polished but raw aluminum and the valve covers will be original aluminum Cobra 427 (Very Rare). Headers are shorties, because there is no room for full size. It should look nice.

Emmanuel[:)]