Author Topic: Scans of AC 428 Frua Articles & Ad's...  (Read 41068 times)

runt

• View Profile
Scans of AC 428 Frua Articles & Ad's...
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2007, 16:50:24 »
Thanks as ever Chuck, I have this Autocar in my attic also, and as you say, we may even have been rival bidders on Evil Bay..!

Some wonderful sports cars there, loved Keith Judd's demo of the softer coil/wishbone suspension!

My faves are all here; AC 289 and 428, Aston DB6, 4.2 XKE, Interceptor, Tiger 289, great stuff, when those guys worked it was shirt and tie even in midsummer; gentlemen reporters indeed!

Paul.[:)]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 02:46:30 »
New Arrival:

1967-1973 AC 428 Data cars in English and in French...

[I certainly wish they had put the AC logo on the front of the English language card!]

Full sized scans are available via this directory:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/ac_428_datacards/

Enjoy!

--  Chuck

P.S. More to come soon!

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2007, 02:46:29 »
New Arrival [Second Verse, somewhat different from the first!]:

AC 428 Convertable Brochure [with some Fastback shots included for good measure]...

Full sized scans are available via this directory:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/ac428_convertable/

Enjoy!

--  Chuck

P.S. Oh, and there is still more to come!  --  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2007, 21:44:02 »
Thanks for sharing your ever-expanding library with us, Chuck, some very interesting less-seen items here.
   Nik.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2007, 12:19:33 »
Small but interesting point about my 428 brochure and yours is that yours is definitely the first series printed, as it shows on the sixth or so page down the cockpit of probably LPH 800D with the early dashboard layout and manual change. Whilst mine is a second or possibly later series with the revised dashboard layout and automatic change, meaning sometime after CF 48.

Great archive material all round ! [:)]

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/AC428-BrochurePage6.jpg

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/ac428_convertable/800/p_6_800.jpg

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2007, 16:14:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

Small but interesting point about my 428 brochure and yours is that yours is definitely the first series printed, as it shows on the sixth or so page down the cockpit of probably LPH 800D with the early dashboard layout and manual change. Whilst mine is a second or possibly later series with the revised dashboard layout and automatic change, meaning sometime after CF 48.
I knew from a casual glance that my brochure was different from your's Cass, but it's good to know the details.

It occurs to me it might be a good idea to try to get down on paper [Electrons] when certain changes occurred within the production run of the AC 428's...  When the T-Handle Automatic selector gave way to the inverted U one, when the instrument cluster was revised.  When the aft Fuel Filler "AC" vents were added, etc.

Perhaps that's a new section of the Gentleman's list [or is it already in there somewhere and I've missed it?]?

--  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2007, 21:42:02 »
New Arrival:
   July 2001 Practical Classics:
   On your Marques: The 100-year history of the legendary British car builders AC...

Scans of various sizes are located via this directory:

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/200107_practical_classics/

--  Chuck

P.S. Still more to come!  [wiggles eyebrows]  --  Chuck

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2007, 15:53:00 »
Thanks Chuck good material ! (Cornering a market has always been a dream of mine too ! [:p] )

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2007, 21:07:31 »
New Arrival:
   7 September 1968 Motor Magazine:

[when I first opened the magazine upon opening the mail packet, it literally opened to this page.  An amazing coincidence!]

Scans of various sizes are located via this directory:

http:// http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/19680907_motor/

Unfortunately, the magazine fell apart as I was scanning it.  Perhaps if there is interest at a later date, I can scan other sections [perhaps portions which include the GT-40 pictured on the cover]

--  Chuck

P.S. Sadly, this post concludes my current holdings of scans.  I do have one other item which may be of interest on it's way to me, but it will take some time to get to me.  I'll post it when it becomes possible...  --  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2007, 19:18:25 »
New Arrival:
   June 1987 Auto Exklusiv Magazine [in German] article on Pietro Frua:

This is the item I mentioned a week ago today that may be of interest.   Sorry it's in German, but perhaps someone will get adventurous with Bablefish and post a translation for us...

Larger scans in a variety of sizes are located here...:
   http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/198706_auto_exklusiv/

--  Chuck

P.S. I also have some other items [new ones too!] on their way to me.  Hopefully I'll have something new to post next week too!...  --  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2007, 23:27:27 »

New Arrival:
   "New Bodies for Old"...  An article on the works of  Pietro Frua:

Unfortunately I have no idea as to which magazine this article was clipped from.  Sorry, that was how I bought it...

Larger scans in a variety of sizes are located here...:
   http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/motorin/frua/new_bodies_for_old

--  Chuck

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2007, 14:23:48 »
Oooh interesting and very useful Chuck !  [8D] [8D]
   It's CF 63 and will look a whole sight better than the garish Technicolour pic on there at the moment ! Another thought, really can't remember clearly seeing the number plate as a plastic strip on the bonnet before at all, but I must say I now really like it as it shows the front end's graceful style off to perfection !! In turn I now realise how much I dislike the old number plate's position as it really detracts from it !

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2007, 19:44:35 »
quote:

Oooh interesting and very useful Chuck !  [8D] [8D]
   It's CF 63 and will look a whole sight better than the garish Technicolour pic on there at the moment !
I'm happy to accomodate and contribute to the cause Cass!  BTW, has anyong heard from Runt lately?  I can't remember the last time he posted, I hope he's ok and hasn't fainted inside his old magazine attic!
quote:

Another thought, really can't remember clearly seeing the number plate as a plastic strip on the bonnet before at all, but I must say I now really like it as it shows the front end's graceful style off to perfection !! In turn I now realise how much I dislike the old number plate's position as it really detracts from it !
As much as I would like to keep the radiator inlet free of obstructions for proper and plentiful airflow, I'd never stick ANYTHING on the paint!  Rules, regulations, laws bedamned!

I personally would rather accumulate the written warnings for not having a proper front plate displayed.

Incidentally, is that a little chin cover I spy?  Perhaps to funnel air to a Transmission cooler?

--  Chuck

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2007, 01:31:44 »
quote:
Incidentally, is that a little chin cover I spy ?

Looks like it....

Re the black stick-on number plate in fact it was quite common practice to have them in the UK back in the Sixties and I still enjoy seeing them today on sports cars from that era. So as it's definitely authentic and very period (see your number plate pics of the Le Mans Coupe BPH 4B as well), I've definitely no problem with them at all. Equally I'm sure there's plenty of ways of protecting the paint these days.... Would it not be allowed in the States ?

Finally I'm left somewhat puzzled by this one. I'm no expert but as it's such a clear picture I'm wondering why Frua didn't extend the grille or mesh itself all the way down to the bottom of the middle opening ? It's not a visible area normally so surely that would have improved perhaps even solved the overheating problems ?

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2007, 16:33:02 »
quote:

Re the black stick-on number plate in fact it was quite common practice to have them in the UK back in the Sixties and I still enjoy seeing them today on sports cars from that era. So as it's definitely authentic and very period (see your number plate pics of the Le Mans Coupe BPH 4B as well), I've definitely no problem with them at all. Equally I'm sure there's plenty of ways of protecting the paint these days....

You're certainly right.  Oh, I have no doubt that it was commonplace back in the day and I'm sure it stirs up fond memories, but I've always had a thing about mussing up the paint.  Whenever I am driving and hear a rock hit I always say "let it hit chrome or glass, because I hate paint chips!"

quote:

Would it not be allowed in the States ?

Well, in the states only a fraction of the states require front plates.  Illinois does, Florida doesn't [most police jurisdictions prefer front and rear plates because they can see you coming or going, and if you do a hit and run there is twice the chance you'll leave an incriminating plate behind in the flotsam and jetsam.

But "Sticker" license plates have never been available/made here in the USA, they've always been made out of stamped metal [originally steel, then galvanized steel as multi-year plates became more the norm [yes, many states issued new plates EVERY year [some still do!], Illinois first "5-year" plates were in service for 8 years, the second "5-year" plates were used for 15 year, we're on our third sets now.]

Now I have a query about UK plates...  Is is possible to get "mock" UK plates which look authentic but are merely for display only.  I'd love to get a UK plate that read:

"AC 428 F" for example or "AC428CF7" or even "AC 428" just for display or car show purposes.

Is there anyway to create/obtain a mock plate?

quote:

Finally I'm left somewhat puzzled by this one. I'm no expert but as it's such a clear picture I'm wondering why Frua didn't extend the grille or mesh itself all the way down to the bottom of the middle opening ? It's not a visible area normally so surely that would have improved perhaps even solved the overheating problems ?

I don't know on that one either, Cass, Sorry!

--  Chuck

P.S. I'll try to post another article today or tomorrow!