Author Topic: ignition key???  (Read 5003 times)

gblue

• View Profile
ignition key???
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:15 »
Aloha.....where can I get another key made for my car in the USA??

Mahalo......1984 mark iv

Mark IV

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 15:24:44 »
84 Mark IV, same key as Ford Sierra (Merkur XR4Ti in States)

linklaw

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 21:48:19 »
I got an extra ignition key at a local Ace Hardware. It is a plain silver key and not one of the fancy ones with a black plastic grip (like the original). The guy at the hardware matched up the original key with one of his blanks, cut it and lo and behold, it works. I only had one original ignition key and was uncomfortable without a spare. John 1985 MK IV

gblue

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:01 »
Aloha and Mahalo for the info..I'll check out Ace....my car yurned 5000 miles today on an upcountry cruise with the boys....Gregg

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 16:39:18 »
John, thanks for the tip, I got two blanks and need to get keys cut, I'll check Ace as well. tried aplace in state of wash as I thought I had key codes...$60 and no cigar.

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 13:16:34 »
Well, perseverance is the key (no pun intended), I went to two "Ace Hardware " stores. they knew exactly what I needed in terms of a Chubb or Tibbe key and told me the machine was $2000 with little demand and alas they did not have one. The last one gave me the name of a local locksmith company, went to visit and yes we do them, but the only individual who is trained to run this key cutter is out on jobs most all days. But, the manager is going to work it out and set up an "appointment", (must have car as well as original key to check operation). After a sucessful conclusion, I'll see if they have a list here in states of other shops who bought this hardware and post it.

Now, to complete the elusive top,  and hopefully get the guy I've found to make my top before winter. Actually found a craftsman who understands how to do it. (I've tried the Robbins route...have a tan top that won't fit my car). keep you posted on results of this operation.

gblue

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 18:38:54 »
Aloha.....still willing to send you my top if you need to copy it,,,,,,gregg

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 21:13:56 »
Gblue, found that it isn't a matter of a copy, but made to order. there are variations in MKIV's as well. Another MKIV owner loaned me his black top...no fit...so bespoke it is. > thanks for the offer though. Jim

linklaw

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 03:15:37 »
Jim, you must have a different style ignition key than I do.  I just looked at my spare key and it is a normal, flat key, just cut on both sides. It's like a Ford key, or a Jeep key, nothing special. I thought your car was only 10 away from mine (1113 v. 1103). What does your key look like?

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 14:30:29 »
John,
   I have a Ford Mercur/Scorpio steering hub,headlight & washer controls and ignition switch. The key is a double cut (top and bottom) security key, that requires a special machine to cut. In the day of those two cars, the dealers initially had to send to UK for replacements. I'll email you a picture of the key if I still have it. My CSX car had a plain old one side US car type ignition key as does your AK.
   Jim

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 12:46:53 »
Linklaw,
   I had deleted picyure, will reshoot this weekend. have a saturday "appointment" with locksmith. This may be similar to meeting with a proctologist...I'll let you know. Jim

nikbj68

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 17:53:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by jbottini

Linklaw,
   I have a saturday "appointment" with locksmith. This may be similar to meeting with a proctologist...I'll let you know. Jim

If that has anything to do with how you lost the key, I think we should close this thread here & now, eh?

No wonder you want a new key![}:)][xx(]

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 23:01:36 »
ha ha!! didn't lose it, never had a spare..will have two on saturday..i bet it is a $100 operation.

gblue

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 06:54:58 »
ALoha...can't find a blank in Hawaii...can someone get one for me and I'll send you my key
   to copy???????

mr. blue

jbottini

• View Profile
ignition key???
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 12:17:27 »
gblue, do you really want to fedex your only key accross the pond? i can get you a blank, if it is infact a tibbe or chubb and send to you. must be master locksmith there.Jim