Author Topic: Looking for MKIV expert advice  (Read 11415 times)

cobra06FR

• View Profile
Looking for MKIV expert advice
« on: September 13, 2017, 22:27:30 »
Hi All,
   I am new on this forum. I live on the sunny south part of France and I dream finding an AC MK IV autokraft from 1987 or earlier.
   I recently spotted an AK in Germany, from 1986. The car has a valid german registration. However the car does not have a VIN plate and is referred to through its AK number on alll official papers and not through its VIN  like if it never received a VIN.

Could anyone on this forum help me understand this AK-VIN business i.e. why some AC MKVI autokraft seems not to have any VIN ? any chance I can find the missing VIN somehow for this german AC MKIV Autokraft ?

The reason for which I am desperately trying to sort this VIN problem out, is because I will not be able to get the car registered in France without the VIN

So if anyone was able to give me some advice on that, I would very much appreciate.
   Many thanks in advance
   Cobra06FR
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:20 »
Hi Laurent,

I have a 1984 MK IV legally registrated in Germany and I only have the AK number. I think the AK number is the VIN number but it has not the "standard" form of 17 characters, just 6 (= AKxxxx). The euopean VIN was introduced 1981. Germany has used this guidelines 1984. So I don't know why a 1986 MK IV has not the 17 characters VIN.

Kind regards,

Peter

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:50:35 »
Hello Laurent,
   I sent you a mail.
   Constant

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 11:49:06 »
Laurent,
   Have you checked the existence of a proper 17 digit VIN hammered into the front cross brace linking the suspension points?
   Constant

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 20:52:12 »
Many Thanks MKIV Lux and dkp-cobra, for you feed-back.
   I Will continue to direct thé German  mechaniker to try and find the number in the car, but I suspect that I am in the same situation as you dkp-cobra - I.e only AKxxxx.

The stupidity of the French administration is that they won't just accept this cold hammered number.

I have also followed up MKIV Lux advise and have mailed the AC company in UK to try and get the number or a certification for the car-
   I keep my fingers crossed for the moment

I'll keep you posted
   Laurent
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 07:37:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobra06FR

The stupidity of the French administration is that they won't just accept this cold hammered number.

Aren't there any exceptions? How do you register a really old car from the 30th or 40th which has definitely no 17 digit VIN?

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 13:09:41 »
Hi dkp,

No problem to get it registered actually if the car was actually homologated in France at the time.
   In the case of the cobra's , AC's has never been registerd officially as a car builder in France.
   To my knowledge there are only 2 AC autokraft that have been officialy registerd in France in the 1980'S1990's.  I know of a 3rd one that has been officially registerd couple of years ago after years of battle.

so in this case of an AC, what you need to do is go through the FFVE (antic car federation) and provide as many information as possible that proves the car is above 30 , then they will confirm officially that the car you want to registerd is a "true" authentic  and moreover they can trace it is more than 30 years old (requisit for them to consider the car "antic").

Through negociation, I manage to convince them with the hammered AKnumber  as well as reference of the official Shelby registry (that includes AK's) that the car was a "real one" - Moreover in the shelby registry, there is no refernce to the VIN number  so it confirms that from the currently available infos the car seems not to have a VIN.

I keep my fingers crossed, hopefully I shall be able to find my way through to successfully registering in France but ... hard work
   Many thanks again for your help
   Laurent
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:28:06 »
Laurent,
   The car was originally (?) registered in Germany. Do the German registration docs not show evidence of initial registration date?
   Cheers
   Constant

lightblue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:40:31 »
Laurent,
   My 1985 MkIV is only identified by the AK number on the car and official paperwork BUT the factory records do show a full VIN.
   Have you contacted the Mk IV registrar, he may have details?
   John.

302EFI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 15:00:42 »
The ACOC's Mk IV Register shows 17 digit VINs for most of the cars listed there.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 16:09:10 »
I am able to provide the VIN for all MkIVs, based on the AK number - if it is included in the AC/Autokraft chassis register. You can reach me on tlegate@btinternet.com if you prefer

All I require is a case or three of Chateau Lafitte-Rothschild 2009.... :)

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 16:27:31 »
WARNING!

Spelling & syntax errors are key advance fee fraud indicators. Tread carefully bearing in mind 'TLegate's' novel vinious appellation.

RS

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 21:50:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by 302EFI

The ACOC's Mk IV Register shows 17 digit VINs for most of the cars listed there.

Hey 302EFI. Thanks for the advice. I exchanged with the registrar following MKIVLUX suggestion ut he does not have the VIN for this car like if the car was never issued one.
   It is really strange as AK1158 and AK1160 have one.
   BR
   L
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 21:54:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I am able to provide the VIN for all MkIVs, based on the AK number - if it is included in the AC/Autokraft chassis register. You can reach me on tlegate@btinternet.com if you prefer

All I require is a case or three of Chateau Lafitte-Rothschild 2009.... :)

Hi TLegate,
   Thanks for your advice. Let's have a try, The AK number is 1159.
   Many thanks in advance and if you find the number, then if you pass by my southy France, I could make you try few some of our wines - not called Laffite-Rothschild but pretty respectable  too. ;-)
   BR
   L
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 17:28:05 »
Typical!! All previous 7 cars on that page of the chassis register have their vin number - but not 1159. (But four of the following five cars on the next page do not have their vin either...)

I have the name and address of the original owner (Berlin) and I know it was black/blue interior with a map pocket added along with windwings, s/s side vents and spare wheel cover. I have the key numbers for the ignition, glovebox, boot, bonnet and fuel cap and I know it had a 302 carb engine. But no vin. :(

If the sequence of vin numbers were continued, 1159 should be: SA9AK3020GAO17159. But it's not shown, so cannot be proved.

Either way, I'm on my way to southy France!!