Author Topic: AC Factory 'Bible'  (Read 2898 times)

James Eastwood

• View Profile
AC Factory 'Bible'
« on: September 13, 2017, 14:49:11 »
Perhaps someone can help. I'm under the impression the 'Bible' will have the factory data for the car build, i.e. build date, car specification, options fitted, engine/g-box/chassis numbers, colours etc.. Is this correct?

I understand that the Bible was available to be viewed at the Brooklands Museum gathering on New Years Day. Is it available at any other times or has the information been transcribed into a record which I or another, can gain access to?

I'd love to have all the original history. For example my car has the factory oil temperature gauge fitted. However the demist duct on the drivers side has been removed to facilitate the fitting of it. Suggesting that the demister was original equipment from the factory then some time later the car was returned for the oil temp gauge fitting.

I'm hoping by viewing the factory fitted options list I can work this all out.

James Eastwood
   BE475 / 200GPD

rstainer

• View Profile
AC Factory 'Bible'
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 17:34:22 »
James,

Most registrars have the Factory Ledger (aka bible) copy for the cars within their remit. I believe archivist John Spencer has a very comprehensive copy.

The period Cobra info comprises:
  • ex-works date
  • model
  • colour (exterior & trim)
  • car number
  • engine number
  • agent name & address
  • first owner name & address for some cars,
  • other freehand notes in limited cases.

The Ledger, at least for period Cobras, does not record 'chassis number'.

RS

ACOCArch

• View Profile
AC Factory 'Bible'
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 06:02:52 »
Originally posted by rstainer

Most registrars have the Factory Ledger (aka bible) copy for the cars within their remit. I believe archivist John Spencer has a very comprehensive copy.[/quote

The copy of the Factory Ledger held in the ACOC Archive covers the entire production of 4-wheeled cars in the Hurlock era, that is circa 1930 to 1985.

All of the entries are pretty sparse, in general recording only the information described by RS. The exceptions are few, for example the original registration mark and engine state of tune is recorded for most PVT cars, and 3000ME key numbers are included! There is also a section which records cars that appear to have been run or loaned by AC Cars before being sold.

Under the Hurlocks' management, AC Cars policy was always to accommodate owners' wishes as far as possible - creating bespoke cars to a degree. Whilst period sales catalogues give some clues to options available on new cars they do not give the sort of detail being sought by JE, and nor was that recorded in the Ledger.

The records of any such work may be with the car, and some information may be with the Registrar. However, few owners in period envisaged their cars becoming treasured in the way we now regard them. Gathering the information often becomes a long-term project in itself, but ultimately very rewarding - gathering the history of BEX 333 is a great example!

James Eastwood

• View Profile
AC Factory 'Bible'
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 13:59:18 »
Gents,

Thanks very much, I've written to my registra Tim Isles. Lets see what information there is. [:)]

I've also just sent the DVLA the form V888 to request what information they have on previous owners and changes of ownership, to compare with our own records.

Both inquiries will no doubt be interesting.

James