Author Topic: What's the best way to sell my AC?  (Read 5127 times)

Exowner

• View Profile
What's the best way to sell my AC?
« on: August 12, 2017, 16:57:09 »
I have decided to sell my Aceca. Had it for twelve years, been in the family since '89 - time to move on before I arrive at the situation whereby I cannot tell the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground.
   Commission fees? Auction? private?
   Any guidance would be most helpful.

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 20:40:38 »
An ad in ACtion and also on the forum may be a good start.
   Private sale may be fruitful but sometimes can be tricky if pestered by tyre kickers and chancer's.
   Dealers can be hassle free but need to charge high to cover overheads and can sometimes take time due to asking prices.
   Auction house quality and charges vary and need to be checked up on to get the best deals.

As a matter of interest what are you offering ?
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 00:53:24 »
I assumed ..  ..  ..  the first 7 words at the start of this thread answers your question.
   I could be wrong and it's not Aceca AE512

Keith

Exowner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:51:11 »
Keith, it is AE512

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 22:21:06 »
No **** Sherlock!  Sorry Sherlock it looks like you name is now Keith.
   I was just trying to coax some details to get a little ahead of the game. Not to worry, plenty more fish in the see.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 00:56:10 »
   BIG COL

Have consulted Dr Watson,  We both agree  the first four lines of your thread are intelligent, constructive, thoughtful and helpful.

However we are both some what mystified by your fifth line.

As a matter of interest what are you Offering ..[?]

and

Plenty Fish in the see [?]...  Surely you mean SEA.

Seriously  ..  ..   was trying to help regards line 5, But I now realise there is little point in spending valuable time on this case.
   Must precede onto our next case.  Don't you agree Watson. [?]

Hopefully AE512 finds a new home  and receives TLC from the new prospective custodian.

Sherlock ...[:(]
   AKA  Keith

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 13:48:19 »
I think Glenn, advertising in Club magazines assumes that the average member has sufficient funds, desire and space for yet another vehicle of the same marque. I imagine this is not very Iikely to be the case.
   I think anybody who buys an Aceca, will know quite a lot about the model and therefore will probably be happy to do their own checks and buy it off your doorstep. In this case you don't necessarily need a dealer, who's services are primarily used by people who are not happy to trust their own judgement. However, some dealers, Rod Leach, Justin Banks can add value as they are well known dealers. The issue with these is that your car  will be more expensive and therefore have  a smaller audience. Also it can be awkward if they have the car all the time.
    I think auctions a waste if time as again the cost to the buyer is high and the seller often receives a low price. Their commission spread can approach 20% in some cases. Also don't think you will get your money immediately after the auction. It's weeks later and that's if they don't go bust in the interim.
    Some years ago I was selling a well known, but well used Austin Healey 3000 works type rally car. I tried an well known auction where it got lots of enquiries but no bids. I tried the free online auction sites and also the expensive ones like Classic Driver.com. I made scores of friends but didn't see a single buyer. So I asked dealers for their advice,. The only offered one certainty, namely Classic and Sportscar Magazine. All the others are nowhere near its circulation. So I advertised, it in there and sold almost at the asking price. with the first ad. One other tip. Don't put an email address in the ad, only a phone number. That ensures that any contact you might get, will have more chance of being an actual  buyer. Good luck.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 14:00:09 »
I think Glenn, advertising in Club magazines assumes that the average member has sufficient funds, desire and space for yet another vehicle of the same marque. I imagine this is not very Iikely to be the case.
   I think anybody who buys an Aceca, will know quite a lot about the model and therefore will probably be happy to do their own checks and buy it off your doorstep. In this case you don't necessarily need a dealer, who's services are primarily used by people who are not happy to trust their own judgement. However, some dealers, Rod Leach, Justin Banks can add value as they are well known dealers. The issue with these is that your car  will be more expensive and therefore have  a smaller audience. Also it can be awkward if they have the car all the time.
    I think auctions a waste if time as again the cost to the buyer is high and the seller often receives a low price. Their commission spread can approach 20% in some cases. Also don't think you will get your money immediately after the auction. It's weeks later and that's if they don't go bust in the interim.
    Some years ago I was selling a well known, but well used Austin Healey 3000 works type rally car. I tried an well known auction where it got lots of enquiries but no bids. I tried the free online auction sites and also the expensive ones like Classic Driver.com. I made scores of friends but didn't see a single buyer. So I asked dealers for their advice,. The only offered one certainty, namely Classic and Sportscar Magazine. All the others are nowhere near its circulation. So I advertised, it in there and sold almost at the asking price. with the first ad. One other tip. Don't put an email address in the ad, only a phone number. That ensures that any contact you might get, will have more chance of being an actual  buyer. Good luck.

Exowner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:09:44 »
Mike, all good advice. Interesting about the ad in C&SC, I'll give it some thought.

As to the other comments on this thread?????????????????????