Author Topic: Hardtop Glass  (Read 5683 times)

Adrian_S

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« on: July 14, 2017, 15:44:17 »
Does anyone know the donor vehicle for the rear screen used in the earlier series hardtops (i.e. with quarterlights) as shown on this car?

I've taken a pic of the legend on the glass here;

I have another style of hardtop that utilises a Citroen Saxo rear screen and it helpfully has a Citroen logo on it. On this occasion, the glass has an AC logo and I'm really hoping it's not custom made by Starglass! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark IV

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 17:01:59 »
We were told the hardtop glass on the ACCG era Brooklands cars are unique to the cars.

paho

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 17:43:32 »
..it might help if you type the text on the glass e.g. the ARGIC code and any other markings such as manufacturer, I can't read whats in the photo.

If someone can confirm if the front windscreen is the same as from a 2001 Jag XK or 1992 Jag XJ that would be useful to know too.
   /Paho
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

Adrian_S

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 14:36:09 »
Hi Mark IV, thanks for your reply! I am expecting the glass to have been custom made so will try and find a 'best fit' or go perspex for now.

Adrian_S

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 14:58:12 »
Hi PAHO, the printed legend reads;

AC – ARMOURPLATE – Toughened
   E11 DOT 50 M272 AS-2
   43R-00083

However, I don't think this will give any clue to a donor vehicle, it just seems to cover the approvals the glass complies with.

Front windscreens for the Ace Brooklands are taken from the Ford Sierra Mk2 WITH heating elements. I bought a brand new one in 2015 (really low cost as you would expect from a volume donor vehicle) from the former supplier to AC Cars Ltd as follows;

Old School Windscreen Services
   Old School Cafe, Longcross Road
   Chertsey KT16 0DP
   Surrey, UK
   Their Product Ref/ Catalogue No. 3543/924/PILK

Shortly after I collected it, would you believe it, someone ran into my Ace and cracked the windscreen! I actually had a replacement supplied by the body shop via National Windscreens (a mobile windscreen fitter in the UK) and still have the spare I bought. I am sure you will be able to source a Sierra Mk 2 windscreen locally, but I would have thought Old School will be able to pack and export to Sweden if required.

Adrian_S

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 15:05:52 »
The web-site and contact numbers for Old School are;

http://oldschoolwindscreens.co.uk/

TEL: +44 1932 873 506
   FAX: +44 1932 872 933

paho

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 12:36:18 »
Many thanks for the windscreen, very useful as my windscreen has a stone chip, which will probably turn into a crack in the Swedish climate.

Must admit ARGIC codes don't seem to help so much, but the other codes indicate the glass was manufactured in UK by Pilkingtons for AC (as their logo is etched in the glass). If you havn't already asked them it could be worth a try.
   BR /Paho
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

Adrian_S

• View Profile
Hardtop Glass
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 14:57:08 »
Just an update on the rear screen investigation....

I've been in touch with both Pilkington Queenborough and Starglass in Spain but neither firm have retained any original tooling from that era. However, both companies have offered to custom fabricate the glass but at a price. E.g Pilkington offer;

•   Glass cost (heated) £465.00
   •   Tooling set £3,850

The owner of the tooling would 'control' any further use and Pilkington would direct future enquiries that way. Alternatively, they offer to ammortise the tooling cost over an order for 5 off @ £900 each (tooling to be owned by Pilkington).

Does anyone feel like investing in a new rear screen for their hardtop? I'm definitely up for it and if at least 4 other owners feel like investing in a spare at £900, please let me know!