Author Topic: Crunched my door  (Read 14536 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 13:13:51 »
Keith, you are correct - I need to adjust the handbrake - and you may be correct on the incident! And unfortunately, it's going to be 12 almost a year before he can actually do the work. :-(  There may be shops that could do it sooner, but I want the car back the way it was, and don't really want someplace that has never worked on ACs learning on my car! He has the jigs to make the door from work he is already doing, and his metalwork is top-notch.

I guess I could drive it with the drivers door off if I feel adventurous...Heavy sigh....
Peter B.

Jim A

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 18:43:25 »
Anyone with basic fiberglass skills could make a temporary door that would not affect your Ace's drivability in any way.
   I agree that it deserves the best repair possible, but now you are in line, I would think about continuing to drive it while you wait.
   Also the chances of further mishap would be much less at home than in such a semi-public setting.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 19:53:38 »
   Peter

If you are in line and it's going to be 10 months or more before Mullins can carry out the repair, surely you will store AEX127 at home
   and deliver it back at the appropriate time .

In the meantime whilst it is secure at home the odd jobs like investigating the hand brake  and any small jobs can be carried out  at your leisure.

Definitely agree it's best to have repairs carried out only by those you have vetted and are totally comfortable with.

Any chance Mullins could carry out  temporary repair so you can use the car then carry out full repair at planned date?

We have a few Ace Bristol in the UK that are running around Especially on the race track, with one side or a corner in bare Ali
   whilst waiting to be booked in 100 % repair and paint.

Good Luck,  10 or 12 months is a Bloody long time to be without your  pride and Joy.

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 23:40:06 »
Car will only be at the shop a few weeks right now while he does the estimate and coordinates with the insurance company (this could get interesting...), then I will pick up the car and bring it home until it is actually time for him to begin work on the car - whenever that is! So I can sort out the brakes, and anything else that needs fettling in the meantime. I may see if I can rig up some sort of very temporary door, just to close up the opening. I can't imagine not driving it for that long!
Peter B.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 02:04:14 »
Here are a couple of photos from Keith illustrating the temporary repair theory:

...Although possibly not the best example, as the Shepherds' Ace has looked like that for about 6 years now!!!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 10:06:04 »
   Peter

As Jim suggests,  Quick and cheap temp repair make  a Fibreglass door in order to continuing to enjoy your Ace whilst awaiting time slot at Mullins.  Have you asked  Mullins if it is possible to quickly  reshape existing door  and secure shut [?]
   For Fibreglass door Try:-

Contact ..  .. Gerry  Hawkridge of Hawk Cars Ltd, he could supply a Fibreglass door within a week or two. then airfreight it to you [;)]
   Send Gerry pictures, and email.
   email: Gerry@hawkcars.co.uk
   www.hawkcars.co.uk
   tel:  01892 750341

Cheers

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 15:52:08 »
Thanks Keith, I will check both options!
Peter B.

Mickmate

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 20:12:59 »
I can make the parts for you and fit them to the car if it is here. I also have a stash of fiberglass door skins that I have built replacement doors for. I have an Ace in the shop right now. www.actoncustom.com

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 03:20:49 »
Thanks Mick, the car is in the process of getting an insurance estimate right now, once I get the car back, will look at all options! Thanks for the note.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 15:40:24 »
   Peter

Preparing BEX333 for gearbox rebuild, fit Over drive, rebuild diff and fit my Quaif LSD in readiness for use end of February 2018.
   Having negotiated around and between the doors umpteen times whilst removing the seats and tunnel,  made me wonder, Whats the latest on your door repair[?].

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 00:36:33 »
Kieth - AEX127 is at Gassman Automotive here in Virginia, just over an hour away from me. They have made the door, and I was quite impressed with what they did. I am having them do a 'refresh' on most of the car, taking care of all dents/dings/metal separation, etc., as well as getting the shiny bits rechromed before a complete respray. He has some talented guys working for him, and could get to my car much before Mullin would have a chance. He has several other ACs in his shop right now, and knows his way around these cars. Here's some recent pictures I took on my last visit to the shop:

Peter B.

Jim A

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 17:18:21 »
Starting yesterday all the photos in this thread come up with a block from Photobucket that says "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting."
   No other threads (e.g. Radiator Grill) are affected.
   Anybody else experience this?  Know what to do?

nikbj68

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 19:20:04 »
Either:  
  • the photos in other threads aren't on Photobucket
  • The poster has paid to be a "Premium Account" holder allowing hosted photo sharing
  • or
  • the Forum Police at Photobummer haven't got around to locking the photos of the non-Premium poster, and holding them to ransom for $400 a year!
(Yep, I'm still angry at Botophuckit!!!!!)[:(!]

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 23:00:31 »
OK, anyone know an alternative to Photobucket for sharing the pictures? I'm not going to become a 'Premium' member!
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 00:00:14 »

Peter

Bryan Moseley our Web master is negotiating with RaceCar our server so we can update our Forum and everyone hopefully wil be able to post pictures freely, plus all going well,  keep our old threads.[;)]

THANKS to PHOTOBUCKET Thousands of club websites  and millions of individuals have been effected , with total loss of shared pictures.

Be Patient and we will find a solution and hopefully PHOTOBUCKET
   goes down the pan , as they have totally screwed millions.[V]

I'm hoping to somehow secure all 60 plus pictures on my thread
   " Racing History of BEX333 (1958-1964)"  which I started  0n the
   4th January 2009.

Keith