Author Topic: Crunched my door  (Read 14525 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« on: April 30, 2017, 16:53:26 »
After a great drive this morning, when I got back from my  drive, there was someone blocking my driveway who was mowing the grass. I had to stop the car, get out, and wave him down (was on a riding mower with earphones on). When I turn around, the Ace was rolling backwards and hit a concrete wall by the drive. Caught the door which I had left ajar and wrapped it around into the fender. Pretty much ruined my day. Literally all I had to do was park it back in the garage. I don't know it it slipped out of gear or what. Anyway, does anyone know where I might get a left side door, or will it have to be made from scratch? Any recommendation on a restoration shop in the Eastern US, preferably Virginia?
Peter B.

BEX298

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 17:29:10 »
I expect your original can be repaired - Closest to you is probably Gassman Automotive (184 N Bayard Ave, Waynesboro, VA 22980; Ph: (540) 949-8764) - they have a 56 AC Ace Bristol in there now and have done a Greyhound. Mine (BEX 298) is with Richard Mullin in PA (2485 Yellow Springs Rd, Malvern, PA 19355; Ph: (484) 318-7198) - I think Mullin's coachwork is the best and other shops send to him - not sure about Gassman's coachwork but was impressed by the Greyhound at Simeone Foundation retrospective.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 21:53:04 »
Thanks for the leads. I've heard different things on Gassman, but they are close to me. Will check with Mullin also - not sure this door can be repaired!

heavy sigh.....
Peter B.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 04:18:48 »
Oh my. That is gut wrenching. Good luck with the repairs.  I've heard good things about Mullin Restoration.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 16:13:27 »
Thanks Cargirl. Yes, very disheartening, but could have been worse - didn't roll into the street, other cars, or people. Always look for the silver lining!
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 16:26:50 »
Have just emailed Mullin to see if he can take this on!
Peter B.

BEX298

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 16:35:44 »
I'm actually seeing him in 20 minutes - I'll talk to him about it - luckily my doors are off (as is the skin) so there's plenty of pattern available to him..

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 18:21:08 »
I just talked with him also - he has a 1 year backlog before he could even take the car in :-(. I hate to have the car just sit for that long, but I want it back the way it was, so may have no choice. Don't want to have some other shop learn on my car....

If anyone else has any suggestion please let me know.
Peter B.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 22:10:31 »
Commiserations on your mishap.I have an Ace door jig & can make you a new door frame. Unfortunately it'll be at least two months before I would have any time to get it done though. Anyway, I'm happy to help out if you can't find a more timely local option.

Regards Luke.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 01:40:24 »
Try Jack Farland in Denver CO.  Farland Restorations.  He has experience restoring ACs'. I know its far but he is very good and might be able to get you in.
    Also sent a text to a guy that has spare parts in Texas to see if he has a door.  Will let you know.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:13:05 »
Peter

ACcidents do happen,  One has to look on the positive side, no other person or vehicle involved.

A word of caution,  as each Ace is hand built, often using different jigs and by various craftsmen, no two doors are  the same. ( not even mirror image on the same Ace ).
   Who ever takes on the repair will need the car and the door, doubt you could get a door supplied without the car being present during its construction.  Hopefully you can salvage the original door.

Good Luck with the repair to the door, wing and scuttle, hope the Ace is back on the road within the next few months.

Chin Up..[;)]

Keith

awilliams

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 22:45:35 »
The guys at the Panel Shop at Automotive Restorations in Stratford, CT can surely make a new door for you.  They're not as close as you'd like but their work is world class and the new door will be perfect.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 03:20:53 »
Thanks to everyone for the input (and condolences). It could be worse, and anything can be fixed. I'll check some of the recommendations, appreciate them all. I agree, whoever does the work will need the car, so will have to figure something out! Will keep the group updated. If we didn't use our cars, nothing would ever happen to them - but what fun would that be???
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 04:09:45 »
Dropped the car off today at Mullin's for him to take a look and come up with an estimate. Some amazing cars in his shop, looks like he does fantastic work - no wonder there is such a backlog. And a really nice gentleman on top of it all!

Ian, got a look at your bare chassis - looks great!

[/URL]

[/URL]
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Crunched my door
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 11:45:18 »
   Pete

As you have left AEX127 with Ian Mullins for quotation, Good workshop full of classics indicates the quality of their  workmanship.
   Hopefully repair and repatriation is within the next 6 / weeks.

One observation on looking at interior picture of AEX127 your hand brake comes up a long way.  When I set up my rear brakes  on BEX333 the hand brake only needs three clicks on the ratchet, Is it possible that your hand brake ratchet and pawl is worn and released as you got out to speak to the gardener [?]

Hope your back on the road to enjoy the later half of summer.[;)]

Keith.