Author Topic: Audio speakers  (Read 3954 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« on: April 27, 2017, 19:28:19 »
Can anyone advise me on a good set of speakers to fit in the outer side panels of the footboxes. Anyone know which ones Ac Cars used or of an alternative set you have used. The issue is that the rear side depth has to be very shallow due to the small distance from the fibreglass footboxes to the outer ally skin. It's only about an inch.
   Many thanks
   Gary

westcott

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:04 »
Hi Gary,

my car had a cd changer, foodbox speakers and navigation installed by the previous owner. Maybe the way he did some speaker panels is interesting for you. If the foodbox distance to the aluminum body is too small some space can be generated with those panels but will reduce the width of the foodbox directly after the B-post or upright for the door hinges. He did the panels from GFRP and covered them with green carpet. If you are willing to cut holes in the side of the foodboxes you will win some space and the panels dosn't need to be too wide in cross car direction.

Have a sharp look at the pictures on my first post here, you will see the panels with mounted speakers. Check the movement of the electric compartment cover/lid before you finally design the panels if you go that route.

Together with modern neodym magnet speaker systems with an installation depth from about 40-50 mm the panels dosn't need to be very deep

http://www.acownersclub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2029
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:35 »
Thanks for your help and advice. I understand what your previous owner has done with the distancing panel. It certainly will be an option if I can't find shallow depth speakers. Ac Cars had pre-cut the speaker holes in both footboxes on my car, and so I wondered if they additionally built a distancing panel above the holes to create depth or if they found a suitable speaker. I have been to a local car audio business,  they are going to search the market for quality speakers but with shallow depth. I will keep you posted. I would be interested to know what speakers are fitted to the Superblower cars, having said that I doubt the footboxes would be of a different profile to the mark 4's.

SB7019

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:48:33 »
Gary.

The speakers on mine are located just below the rear bumper bar and connect direct to the engine.  Perfect for fans of heavy metal!!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 22:36:53 »
Hi Peter, I hope you are well and enjoying these beautiful Spring evenings. I'm right at the point of firing this bad boy up! Just need to finish connecting up the oil cooler, prime the engine oil system, and we're done!! It'll be interesting to hear how it sounds. I suspect the neighbours may soon get fed up with it! I hope to have it IVA'D in the summer and then it can finally be registered. After 14 years!! It's been a brilliant project though, really enjoyed it. Liz rolls her eyes when I mention a new project!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 00:58:27 »
Best of luck, Gary...fingers crossed for you!

SB7019

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 15:43:26 »
Gary.

Excellent news!  Would love to see ( and hear) a clip of it when it is fired up.  Mine is running really well at the moment - only trouble is I'm not using it as much as I should.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Audio speakers
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 00:05:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019...
   The speakers on mine are located just below the rear bumper bar and connect direct to the engine.  Perfect for fans of heavy metal!!

I had a heavy metal fan in a BMW enjoying my stereo through the 3 tunnels around Conwy in North Wales last weekend!
    It was late, I thought I had the road to myself, slowed to around 20mph for the 1st tunnel and floored it up through the gears, but just as I started, the Beemer came past! As I came up behind him, I saw his window roll down, and he waved me on. Cool.
   Then I arrived at the second tunnel, and the same thing happened again, but this time he had both drivers' side windows open! I went past again, 6000 rpm with NO silencers in a tunnel is AMAZING!
   I assumed he had turned off as I approached the 3rd tunnel, but as I slowed, there he was AGAIN! This time, he sat in the outside lane, with the passenger side windows open, fist pumping & waving! I drew level with him and he paced me as I went from 2nd, through 3rd to 4th, then back to 3rd, popping & crackling on the over-run, I bet when he tells his mates, no-one will believe him!!!
   Radio...what radio?! [8D]