Author Topic: Ac Bristol BEX231  (Read 5588 times)

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« on: February 13, 2017, 16:50:14 »
Changed the pictures to a google link so you can see restoration and finished car.

The owner has decided to reduce the price of the car for a more immediate sale... please keep in mind that I can help find parts for the car as I have clients with Ace parts (would have to do a search for a correct engine though)

Ace Bristol BEX 231 left Thames Ditton and was exported to Venezuela 7th December 1956.  The car was owned as of 1998 by R. Scoma.  I am still researching the history of this car.  The current owner found the car in 2001 in a barn in Independence Missouri in 2001 (see photos).  The car, although in poor shape, missing the engine, transmission, the radiator and correct fuel tank.

New owner replaced the entire brake system including master cylinders, brake lines, wheel cylinders, backing plates and shoes. The shocks, universal joints and axle shafts, were also replaced all with correct parts. All of the brakes, suspension and steering are as original.  The original hubs and stubs were kept.  Whenever possible these types of components were retained.  When necessary new pieces were machined. (A box of Whitworth bolts and other extras come with the car).  All of the gauges are original to the car but the speedometer and odometer need to hooked up.

The body was sent to Carriage and Motorworks of Kansas City, Kansas for restoration.

A factory small block high output Ford crate motor purchased new from Ford.with aluminum head roller rockers and a T5 transmission was installed.  A 50's aftermarket steering wheel was also added.  The seats are original and are reupholstered in leather.  The car comes with sidescreens, a tonneau cover that is unrestored and an unrestored top.  The parts that were replaced also come with the car.

The restoration was concluded in 2003.  The car has only seen about 50 miles of use since then. Car is immaculate and runs.
   Video and pictures available.  Owner is asking $210,000.00 OBO

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B05yCqSBcPenVzVvUEwyU3ktTG8

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:12:17 »
You leave that Greyhound engine where it is!!!! [;)]

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 13:25:02 »
Ok.  Ok Man Back Off! But I agree.  This is the perfect car for someone that has a spare 100D laying around.  It really is a sweet car.  Needs a few things though to bring it back to original specs.  Parts that I can help a new owner find...

BEX298

• View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 20:10:53 »
Interestingly enough, D&D Classics in London has a similarly converted 1956 AC Ace Bristol with period Cobra 289 engine - ex-Venezuala delivery - BEX235 (only 4 numbers off!). This BEX235 car is Red, so you can have your pick of colour. I knew this car in the US when it went through Ron Leonard...

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 20:34:42 »
@BEX 298

I have been trying to research the history of the car.  All the present owner knows is that he had heard about it for awhile, finally tracked it down in a barn in Independence Missouri and cannot remember the name of the person he bought the car from.  That was in 2001.  Pictures of the car can be seen here as a barnfind.
   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B05yCqSBcPenVExIbHNyV0o4c1k?usp=sharing

Can you tell me when Ron Leonard had the car?  I can give him a call but I would have to jog his memory.  Any information would be very helpful.

BEX298

• View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 14:02:24 »
I was referring to knowing the one at D&D - BEX235, which is a long boot car. Ron was handling it in the early 1990's while I was looking for a project before I bought mine, but BEX235 had already been converted by the 80's. I never saw BEX231, But BEX235 was brought into the US by the 1970's. BEX235 was also exported to Jack Fernancez in Venezuala on 7th December 1956. It's possible both cars came into the US at or about the same time.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 14:56:19 »
Understood.  Thanks.  Will keep searching.  We have wonderful archives at the Simeone Museum.  Hopefully I will find something there.

Jim A

• View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 17:10:19 »
An AC sandwich! Two posts today: Bill Love's BEX 239 and this BEX 235.
   I owned BEX 237 for 30 years.  My brother bought it new.

Jim A

• View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:44 »
My apologies.
   The Ace Bristol I owned was BEX 241, 100D557.
   Still a close brother to the two now being discussed.

More on this car:
   http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1169

tim isles

• View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 08:31:41 »
Jim, Bill Love's car BEX 258 surely? There is a good thread on the car on this forum. Tim

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
Ac Bristol BEX231
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 19:35:45 »
I had a potential buyer pass on this AC Bristol because he does not have time for a project.  I just want to be clear with this car.. it is not a project.  It is a gorgeous, fully restored AC Bristol.  It has a Ford engine.

This is a car you can put on the street tomorrow and drive for many years to come.  If someday you decide to put the correct engine in it it is not going to increase the value of the car all that much - or the performance of the car.

So this is not a project.  It's just an awesome car.  Priced right and waiting for its next happy owner.