Author Topic: Aceca gearbox cover  (Read 3334 times)

Jim

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« on: March 29, 2017, 16:24:01 »
I am restoring my 1956 AC Aceca AEX559 which I've owned since the late 70's, and have a couple of questions.I don't know what the gearbox cover over the Moss box (no overdrive) looks like. Is it fiberglass like the footwell or aluminium. I have most AC books but there appears to be many configurations.A photo would be a great help.Mine was missing when I got the car.Also, the budget locks of the bonnet close against the small rectangular protrusions at the rear of the bonnet opening and I wonder if something fastens to the two small holes in the face of these brackets.
   I,d insert  photos of what I have but I can't figure out how.

Thanks  Jim

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:15:51 »
The Aceca gearbox cover is made from thin fiberglass. I have a rather tatty cover from a 1955 Aceca & will dig it out & take some photos over the weekend.

The small holes in the face of the bonnet catch brackets are not normally used, but I've sometimes seen them used to hold small extension plates that adjust the positions of the bonnet latches.

Regards Luke.

Jim

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 15:44:09 »
Thanks for the assistance. Looking forward to seeing the photos. Could you please put some dimensions as well, if possible. Is the cover over the driveshaft also fiberglass or was it aluminium?

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:16:24 »
The cover over the gearbox & prop-shaft is all made in one piece.
   I'll try & include some dimensions with the photos.

Regards Luke.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 10:14:00 »
Hopefully the photos should be self explanatory. The small rectangular cover that fits in front & above the gear lever hole is just a closing panel for the bulkhead opening, as the opening is taller than the flange on the gearbox cover. The fibreglass is quite thin, certainly no more than 4mm thick anywhere.The cover is secured with 2BA set screws & washers screwed into rivnuts mounted in the bulkhead & floor panels

Regards Luke.

Jim

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 16:46:19 »
Very informative. Thankyou.
   Now to figure how to make one

Muffin

• View Profile
Aceca gearbox cover
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 21:02:59 »
Ask if you can borrow it or another and make a mould in fibre glass then you can make as many as you like. Done this sort of thing many times with school kids making go kart seats plus moulds for tunnels fitted to other cars and especially unobtainable motorcycle side panels.