Author Topic: Electrical Questions  (Read 7159 times)

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« on: March 08, 2017, 22:51:25 »
Hi all,

I have completed my electrical restoration of my early MKIV - made harder by someone butchering a load of wires at some point.
   Anyway I am down to 2 questions and hoping for help.

1. I have a mysterious spare white wire. It leaves the fuse block, goes out the side of the enclosure into the wing area where the side vents are, heads upwards and then comes back into the inside of the car close to the wiper motor. The mystery is that I just have a bare live wire and can't see what its was meant to connect to. Any ideas?

2. I have a ldoor buzzer circuit on the drivers side, but I can't for the life of me find any door switches..Are they hidden somewhere and I am missing the obvious? Or was it fitted and not used? It is beside the seat belt buzzer which does work.

THANKS!!!!

Michael

wenzeh

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:43:46 »
To 2.  A little switch should be located on top of door hinge.  The pin, connecting the door hinge to the frame has a little feature which would operate the switch indicating open or closed door position.
   To 1. No idea
   Heinz

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:02:40 »
Michael,
   To 1: do I have to understand "live wire" as + connected and if so, to which fuse?

Mark IV

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 15:41:02 »
John,

You need to tell the ACOC people the story of this car and how you found it! Everyone will be interested in the original owner story and how you tracked the car history to me.

Rick

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 02:07:09 »
MKIV LUX. Well without a reliable wiring diagram, I am trying to trace everything, but I think the wire is connected to the same fuse as the turn signals. Its a thick wire, and yes - it was sitting live connected to nothing in the general area of the wiper motor.
   Its quite distinctive in that it exits the fuse box area into the inner wing and the comes back in around the wiper motors.
   White in color.
   Any clues would be awesome!
   M

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:09:22 »
Hey Rick,
   I will write it up when I am all done, but yes - found in a barn in Luxembourg, owned by a billionaire that died young, and traced back to you as the seller, which was of course a huge coincidence as I bought a car from you in the past.
   Its getting close to driving again...
   M

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:41 »
An article for ACtion with some photos would be great!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 21:48:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by jmohara

Hey Rick,
   I will write it up when I am all done, but yes - found in a barn in Luxembourg, owned by a billionaire that died young, and traced back to you as the seller, which was of course a huge coincidence as I bought a car from you in the past.
   Its getting close to driving again...
   M

AHA!! I know that car. Must be AK 1099! I happened to inspect it early June 2016, as the then owners (hires of the deceased man) had invited me to have a look as they had been told the car was a replica. I took quite a few pictures and was given copies of some inclomplete paperwork. Whereas the car had been imported  many years ago in the frame of the owner's move from the US to Luxembourg, he had never bothered to get it road registered in LUX. And now the customs clearance document was missing. I assured the sellers that they owned a genuine AC Cobra Mk IV. Had no further news thereafter.

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 00:01:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux

Michael,
   To 1: do I have to understand "live wire" as + connected and if so, to which fuse?

This was great - found it and all sorted now thanks!!!

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 00:03:41 »
MKIV Lux - yes thats the one - I was at a business meeting at the farm, found the car and managed to buy it. Its now back int Boston, but still on those New York Plates. Lots to do as it hadn't run for 16 years, but I have it running and its getting close!

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 00:05:31 »
Still looking for some guidance on that white wire!!!!
   M

Mark IV

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 20:17:29 »
I think it may be the feed for the side indicators which of course were not used on the US spec cars. As we NEVER had a proper factory wire diagram, all I can do is guess.

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 23:22:26 »
Hey MKIV - I think a feed for the side indicators would come from the relay - this is just from the fuse...but reasonable shout.

BTW I have some wiring diagrams if you want them - they don't exactly match the car but they are at least a starting point :-)

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 09:01:02 »
White is usually part of ignition circuit.
   If the wire goes to the vicinity of the coil/battery could it be for a ballast resistor?
   Graham

westcott

• View Profile
Electrical Questions
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 20:03:14 »
Wiring diagram for early carburetted cars says that 1K or white is used in a circuit between different fuses, ignition switch and a so called processor connected to the air pump.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!