Author Topic: Ace 2.6/Greyhound radiator "upgrade" ?  (Read 3297 times)

TTM

• View Profile
Ace 2.6/Greyhound radiator "upgrade" ?
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:49 »
Hello all,

I get the feeling from looking at the 2.6 radiator that it may be about as heavy as a dead horse, and before I pull it off the engine bay to clean it thoroughly and possibly repaint it, I was curious if a known and proven lighter replacement could be purchased somewhere?
   Or is this only a case of bank-breaking custom work?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 14:35:25 by TTM »

BEX298

• View Profile
Ace 2.6 radiator "upgrade" ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:45:49 »
Not sure if this helps but the 2.6 Gallay radiator was the same one used in the AC Greyhound. These Greyhound radiators were reproduced as a "direct fit radiator" in aluminum here in the US by Wizard Cooling believe it or not (www.wizardcooling.com) and can be ordered with standard 1" ($600) or upgrade to 1.25" tubes ($700).  I have never been a big fan of aluminum radiators being in favor of bank-breaking custom repair work for originality but worth investigation. I can't tell what country you are in but I have a Greyhound with a 2.6 installed that's missing its radiator (hence the previous knowledge) so if you do go the bank-breaking route let me know because I might want to have one made.

TTM

• View Profile
Ace 2.6 radiator "upgrade" ?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:17:06 »
Hello,

Thank you for the information. I heard of Wizard Cooling in the past but ignored they made a replacement radiator for the Greyhound.
   As I am in mainland Europe though I am not interested in ordering from the US at the moment as we get murdered with import taxes.
   Before anything it would be interesting to know the weight gain over the stock rad.

TTM

• View Profile
Re: Ace 2.6/Greyhound radiator "upgrade" ?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 14:52:26 »
Hello,

I am bringing this thread back to top as I am curious if anyone has ever looked into having a dual core oil/water radiator made.

The reason for asking this question is that it takes the oil in the Bristol engine a remarkably long time to warm up. Even after completely blanking off the oil cooler I have never been able to get oil temperature anywhere above 70°C, which is much lower than the 100°C most if not all modern engine oils need to reach for moisture to boil and perform the way they are supposed to.

How do people who race their cars in classic race series find the time to warm up properly their engines between the paddocks and the track?

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Re: Ace 2.6/Greyhound radiator "upgrade" ?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 06:59:08 »
Maybe you can use an oil pan heater.