Author Topic: When was this award ceremony recorded.  (Read 3512 times)

rr64

• View Profile
When was this award ceremony recorded.
« on: February 04, 2017, 20:53:37 »
Check out this video posted on YouTube(R). The last segment starts at the 1:43 mark. Does anybody know when in 1963 and where this last segment was taken? The date is of most interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plrQFiqoO9g
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 13:23:37 »
Dan,

If the clip is Mid Ohio on 22 Sept 63 I wonder, as a shot in the dark, if the Cobra could have been 2048?

R

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 15:22:47 »
My opinion, not probable. Possible yes but if so the SAAC Registry is missing information and the car’s configuration  was transformed more times than documented.

If the car in the last segment is CSX2048 then we have a two car mystery.  If it is CSX2048 then there were at least two prototype cars painted red fitted with custom very large round tail lamps and large custom rear registration plate lamps. One of the oddities in the film clip is that the car appears to be running on Firestone brand tires. CSX2048 doesn’t have a legend of tire and wheel combination testing attached to it but another red Cobra with these odd rear lamps does.

Based on the SAAC Registry CSX2048 was painted a custom “pearl” color after arrival in California, used as a show car, and then stored for some period before being sent to Ford still painted “pearl” and fitted Goodyear race tires on chrome plated wire wheels. There is no mention of any prototyping with the car. The invoice to Ford has a date quoted as September 16, 1963.  To be at Mid Ohio less than a full week later in red could be possible but would require expedited shipping, a quick color change, and installation of custom rear lamps. Possible, sure. Ford money ran like river but it seems some of these changes would have been captured in somebody’s notes and why bother if other another car was already configured that way.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 18:10:53 »
Dan,

We definitely have a two-car mystery as it is very probable that 2126, the other ‘round tail lamp’ car, was in the UK in September 63.

I took ‘pearl’ to be shorthand for ‘pearlescent’ (c/f 2000’s pearlescent yellow): as the film is B&W, all that can be said with certainty is that the car is not black or white. Forty-six worm & sector cars were originally red: 2048 was used as a Shelby American show car and ‘is noted as having been sent to the Ford Custom Caravan in February of ’63’ [SAAC]. Of all the non black or white W&S cars, 2048 seems to me the most likely.

In University Challenge terms, 2048 is ‘your starter for 10’: what’s now needed is an alternative more plausible suggestion.

R

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 19:10:20 »
There was a magazine cover representation of a bright yellow early car that was not CSX2000. What I don't know is if the car shown was painted yellow or just made to appear that way through photographic dark room manipulation.

A two car theory is possible, strange but possible with two cars with odd tail lamps and registration plate lamps.
Dan Case