Author Topic: AC (Electric)  (Read 5617 times)

Morgy

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:03 »
Hi

Is there many of you out there with AC (Electric) stamped on the Log books, Has anyone had any luck getting the DVLA to change the details?  I keep drawing a blank with them as they keep asking for a letter from the manufacturer any help or documentation would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Mark

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 16:30:35 »
I think Dad managed with the Greyhound, will ask how.
   IIRC he had a letter about it in ACtion.
   I have seen quite a few (Electric) AC`s!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 18:26:51 »
Mark

This subject has raised it's head numerous times,  phone or email your Registrar with full details or email either Bertie or Andy whom can scribe a official letter on ACOC paper and assist in getting your AC ??????  correctly identified and registered..[:p]

Good Luck..[;)]

Keith

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:13:22 »
My Invalid car document is stamped AC (electric), taxation class Historic Vehicle, body type Invalid Vehicle and 1500cc!! But I must say I've not bothered to correct the mistakes.

Morgy

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 19:48:40 »
Thanks Keith

Could you point me in the right direction for the contact details of Bertie or Andy as Robin is apparently away until early Feb..

Many thanks
   Mark

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:21:14 »
   Mark.

Andy Shepherd is our Chairman :-
   shepherd289@aol.com

and Bertie is our Hon President and Insurance Consultant:
   tel: 0118 932 1400

Details are in every copy of ACtion  usually page 4.

At Council meeting tonight, will request paragraph be inserted in next few issues of ACtion.( Yes there will be future issues. [B)].)

Keith

PaulAnderson

• Currently getting AE220 in fine order.
    • View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 19:33:56 »
Hi Mark,

I have just been through this whole drill with success.

I have copied and pasted the part of my letter to DVLA that referred to this below.

I also had an engine number sorted and provided photographic evidence of the chassis and engine number, the VIN plate, a record from a book I found and a couple of other pictures.
   All of this was so that they could quite clearly see the vehicle was NOT electric. I also included a copy of the log book that they issued me that was incorrect.

A couple of weeks later I got a correctly numbered and named V5 - quite simple really.

Good luck but it should not really be a problem.

I would be quite happy for you to quote my reference number (It is in the paragraph below) as a case in point where it has been accepted by the DVLA that an AC is not electric:-)

I think the rule of thumb is give them as much photographic evidence as possible:-)

Need any help drop me a PM.

Best wishes.

Paul

"RE: Make Change/Engine Number Change
   REF: 6244 583 0049

Dear Sirs,

Please find enclosed my V5C that has 2 incorrect entries.

Firstly, the make of my car is an AC not ‘AC (Electric)’ as stated on the V5. I have noticed this issue on the AC Owners club forums and that the change can be made manually at the DVLA to reflect the actual make of manufacture."

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 18:31:51 »
I asked Dad about how he corrected his logbook.
   He wrote to the DVLA asking them to correct THEIR error, as AC had never used the term 'Electric' and no AC owner would have done either. (Which assumes that some Wag at the DVLC thought "AC... Alternating Current...Electric Cars... I know, we'll add 'electric' in brackets to make it clear.")
   The DVLA replied saying that they couldn't make such an amendment with out 'official' documentation and suggested he write to AC in FRIMLEY!!!
   They ended the letter saying that his amended V5 and MOT certificates would be returned separately!
   Sure enough, his documents arrived with AC on!
   Dad had this letter published in ACtion (I guess sometime in early 2016, as it's not listed in the ACtion '09 -'15 archive) where he suggested the ACOC submit a blanket letter to the DVLA requesting all AC(ELECTRIC) registrations be amended, as if you check HOW MANY LEFT's database of currently taxed vehicles, there appear to be 211 AC(ELECTRIC)'s on the road, compared to 167 AC's!

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:44:03 »
I assume all electrics will get free congestion charges in whatever cities apply them!
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 21:31:36 »
...Best leave them as they are then!

ACOCArch

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 13:00:18 »
A thorny old problem! I faced this about 20 years ago and DVLA did not then recognise AC Cars!
   Unfortunately, some years ago there was a company called AC (Electric), and a small number of the Invalid carriages were electrically powered.
   If all else fails Bertie is the Club's official contact with DVLA.
   As a last resort I have access to copies of some original company records back to 1899! Please contact me if you need help with that.

SJ351

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 20:27:11 »
No doubt working through the 'Electric' structure, there were subsidies and tax efficiencies to be gained in the accounting.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
AC (Electric)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 23:05:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by SJ351

No doubt working through the 'Electric' structure, there were subsidies and tax efficiencies to be gained in the accounting.

To my knowledge, AC (Electric) had no connection whatsoever with AC Cars or its successor companies, but has nevertheless caused us a load of trouble!