Author Topic: Ace adjustable steering column problems  (Read 4754 times)

Norman

• View Profile
Ace adjustable steering column problems
« on: January 12, 2017, 18:23:39 »
I have two problems with the adjustable steering column on my 2.6 Ace, RSX 5006. Firstly, it does not hold its adjustment but gradually extends towards the chest(I always set it as close to the dashboard as possible). Secondly, having adjusted itself, the black knurled knob that one unscrews to remedy matters refuses to unscrew except when persuaded by a VERY strong wrist. There is nothing visibly amiss, and nothing has changed (to my knowledge) since I bought the car in 1971, at which point it worked fine.

Ideas anyone?

Exowner

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:22:18 »
I've got a sectional view of the general arrangement of the locking collet for this type of steering wheel assembly if it may help you? I can't be doing with uploading photos onto this forum, but if you text me your email address, I'll send you a photo of what you are dealing with should you decide to have it apart to inspect. I feel that unless something is broken in the collet arrangement, a good clean may well solve the problem. My mobile is 07966284689
   Glenn

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 17:49:05 »
Glenn

Not an expert, But before taking everything apart, have you checked the tightness of the brass collar /  Gland at the bottom of the steering column [?].

If taking the centre/Horn push assemble apart be careful as there are some 50 or more parts,  many  very fragile and  made of bakerlite, these parts and very difficult to find and nigh impossible to repair.

Hopefully nothing has broken/wornout,  we have a few contacts in Uk who hold very limited spare parts if you really get stuck.

Good Luck ..[;)]

Keith

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 00:37:18 »
While I never had it apart to repair I seem to recall that either my XK120 or RS 5024 had the same problem. I wonder if there is a compressing part/ring inside the knob which wears. I found an image of a replacement knob with two small semi circle pieces which might be broken or worn?

John

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 11:22:41 »
Don't know whether it helps but here are some pictures of the steering hub of my Aceca. The steering has a conversion to R&P so the steering column will be different in your car but the concept should be the same.

It ends with fine splines but it is not conical. The rear end of the hub has of course the same splines, is slotted and has a conical outside.

The adjuster has a conical inside.

By screwing the adjuster the slots of the hubs get closed and crimps the steering column.

Maybe, your problem is that one of the finger between two slots is broken or there is to much grease in the complete area.

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 17:35:07 »
The method that I (and many others!) use to keep the wheel in the required place on the column is to wrap a cloth around the knurled ring so that it cannot be damaged, and then tighten it up using wide jawed pliers. Does the trick on my car and the wheel never moves, but I do agree, not very scientific. Tim

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 20:04:57 »
Many thanks to everyone who has replied, very helpful. I'm clearly not the first person to have trouble with this. I have a spare steering column and box and all the bits to rebuild it, but no spare boss. It's obviously time I rebuilt the spare box, stripped out the current one and examined the adjustment mechanism in the process.

rsk289

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 00:13:48 »
Austin Healeys (and no doubt some others) used this type of adjustable steering wheel (although with plastic rim and sprung spokes).  it might be worth checking if any parts can be cross-referenced as the Healey wheels are remanufactured, e.g. AH Spares.

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:48:18 »
Good idea, rsk, thanks

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 21:37:47 »
Glenn Burnage has kindly sent me the patent info for the adjustment device, which includes a useful drawing. My theory is lack of lubrication and/or roughness between the female cone of the adjustment collar and the male cone of the clamping ring. When you slacken the collar, it needs to slide around the collar and if that is too tight you are in trouble. Also, if you pull on the wheel, as one tends to do when leaving the car, that will tend to jam the clamping ring further into the collar, exacerbating the problem. So leaving the splines unlubricated is probably a good idea, to minimise the chance of the wheel hub edging outwards when the rim is pulled.

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by rsk289

Austin Healeys (and no doubt some others) used this type of adjustable steering wheel (although with plastic rim and sprung spokes).  it might be worth checking if any parts can be cross-referenced as the Healey wheels are remanufactured, e.g. AH Spares.

The nut available from AH Spares looks quite a bit different though, but it might be functional.

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/Steering/BOSS-adjcollar-type.aspx