Author Topic: S1CS-19523-C Cobra Emblem  (Read 2932 times)

rr64

• View Profile
S1CS-19523-C Cobra Emblem
« on: January 08, 2017, 21:55:53 »
I occasionally get inquiries about Cobra mascot emblems from ACOC members so I thought I would share some posts I have made elsewhere.

This post is a sort of 'infomercial'.

During the CSX21xx chassis range a new Cobra mascot emblem was introduced into Cobra production. Sellers of emblems, especially on ebay®, offer all kinds of parts from all kinds of sources that are definitely nothing used in new Cobra production five decades ago.  For example, there were some extremely crude aftermarket emblems with double back foam adhesive tape on their backs offered by J.C. Whitney when the cars were just a few years old.

One thing that has happened is confusion with the subsequent Ford Motor Company sourced part that replaced the one Shelby American sourced for new Cobras.  The new Ford part became the production part for most 427 Cobras; probably after the Cobra part supply was exhausted. Most of the many “reproduction” emblems offered for all Cobras (leaf spring chassis cars) and 427 Cobras (coil spring chassis cars), being offered like original to leaf spring in cars particular, are copies of the Ford emblem.  By the 1980s there were copies of copies of the Ford emblem being offered ‘as original’ for Cobras (leaf spring chassis cars).

The slide below illustrates originals of the Shelby and Ford parts in a side by side comparison.

PS If you have a Cobra and have original S1CS-C emblems but one or both pins are broken off them, don't give up as pins can be replaced.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=26886.0
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 22:32:34 »
To follow the original thread on the SAAC site:

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=38623.msg296553#msg296553
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 19:52:55 »
The manufacturer of the C3RA emblem is "Tri-Delta Casting" in Michigan, the S1CS emblems were done by ASCO in California. Tri-Delta did a lot of zinc cast and plated emblems for Ford. Yes, the number is Tri-Delta's mold number.