Author Topic: AC Mk. IV on Hemmings  (Read 4273 times)

BBK

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« on: January 04, 2017, 05:28:02 »
Found this listing on Hemmings, located in Spokane, WA (USA)

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ac/427/1903809.html#&gid=1&pid=4

Looks to be AK 2003.  Says the car was special built in 1995 for the Detroit auto show. Ad refers to this car as an "AC 427".  Looks to be basically a standard Mk. IV.  No real engine shots. Front end differs from most Mk IV cars with side inlets either side of the front opening and flat dash and "AC" logo on center hex nuts (vs. "Autokraft").

Car looks to be in nice shape, with claimed low mileage.

Does anyone have more details on this car?

Price is $235,700 which seems very high, but all the more power to him if he gets it as that bodes well for all Mk  IV cars.

Exowner

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:31:46 »
I strongly disagree with the last line of the above post.

I think that it may bode well for current owners of MK4s who are considering selling, the actual cars themselves have no sentience.
   I also think that the advertisement heading stating '1966' is typical of a 'price hiking spiv'

I sold my almost identical RHD car 2 years ago for 68kGBP so unless a well heeled moron buys it, it will never achieve the asking price.

If indeed prices of all ACs climb to the extent that only Bill Gates can afford them, our club will eventually be populated only by the very very very rich investors, and as we know, they will not want to run our club on a voluntary basis. This will mean the end of the ACOC.
   So endeth my first and, probably not my last rant of the year.
   Comments please.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 14:51:39 »
"A horse is worth what a fool is willing to pay for it" (old local saying)....
   Don't worry Glenn, the very rich investors won't spend a dime to get ACOC membership! We can continue driving our cars and enjoying club events with likeminded folks...

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 21:32:09 »
Its a mixed thing. Healthy values means a good return, way better than money in the bank and keeps people investing in making the cars perfect. Too high and its silly. Having paid $45K for one this year I dont mind seeing nice numbers - makes me get on with the restoration :-)
   But that car is never worth 235...

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 22:47:31 »
good return.. only when you sell.... otherwise, just a proud feeling when you drive..... driving is essential anyway, that's what they are made for

BBK

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 02:56:25 »
I don't think there is anything wrong for an owner of a particular type of car to enjoy seeing appreciation of his or her car. I imagine many Ferrari, Iso Grifo, and Maserati owners, let alone owners of original 1960's Cobras and many other cars of special interest, are pleased to have seen the value of their cars increase. While we love our cars and enjoy driving them, if they appreciate as an asset, there is nothing wrong with that. I have been on the losing end of the value spectrum many a time where I am upside down after improving a car. With this said, I think the owner of the car on Hemmings is dreaming a bit.....unless that car is particularly rare or special for some reason. The ad looks to be misleading, unless I am missing something here.....

quote:
Originally posted by BE1058

I strongly disagree with the last line of the above post.

I think that it may bode well for current owners of MK4s who are considering selling, the actual cars themselves have no sentience.
   I also think that the advertisement heading stating '1966' is typical of a 'price hiking spiv'

I sold my almost identical RHD car 2 years ago for 68kGBP so unless a well heeled moron buys it, it will never achieve the asking price.

If indeed prices of all ACs climb to the extent that only Bill Gates can afford them, our club will eventually be populated only by the very very very rich investors, and as we know, they will not want to run our club on a voluntary basis. This will mean the end of the ACOC.
   So endeth my first and, probably not my last rant of the year.
   Comments please.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 14:48:37 »
I kinda agree with AE 512. So many people are listing Mk IVs they don't own, for prices they don't need to achieve, there seems to be a great opportunity for the naïve or inheritance rich buyer. The prices can't be realistic if the same cars are on the market for over 18 months and don't sell at auction either.

I bought a superb Mk IV, almost identical to the red one advertised, from a UK dealer, 2 years ago, in the price region AE mentions. So don't kid yourself your Mk IV you bought 10 years ago for £50k is worth 4 times that today. It isn't, or dealers would be offering you £100k to take it off your hands. But they ain't. The trade buy in price of a Mk IV is around £50k and that's the real life fact.

But the good news is that the MK IV is a fab car to own, look at and be in. Especially true, if it has a decent hood and a power upgrade. It's one of the most beautiful cars ever and I have significant upgrade plans for mine. I love the story, the concept and can't imagine ever parting with it.

I wish the market was more like real life and that people who really want a Mk IV have the opportunity to do so. I would also love users of this forum to post pictures and talk about where they've been and what they are doing with their Mk IV, instead of this (almost tragic) pre occupation with advertised values.

Since buying we've done over 7000 miles in ours, 2000 through the Dolomites and several trips to France.

There's more to being a Mk IV owner than discussing advertised prices. It's an insult to the car.

BBK

• View Profile
AC Mk. IV on Hemmings
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 17:05:46 »
The main thrust of my post concerned questions about this particular car and who might know something about it and if there was anything particularly special about it that would warrant the high asking price.  The mention regarding values of Mk. IV cars and increasing values being a positive was not the main point of my post, though again, there is nothing wrong with wanting to see the values of one's car increase IMO.