Author Topic: Superblower/CRS Front Griile Mount  (Read 3880 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Superblower/CRS Front Griile Mount
« on: December 11, 2016, 17:25:46 »
Hi all, can anyone advise me how the front nose meshed grille is mounted? A couple of images from the inside of the nose would be very helpful. Many thanks. Gary

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 19:05:14 »
On the CRS it has 2 tabs(as part of the grille) on left and right side that take a self tapper screw. So you have to wiggle the grille in,and screw the self tappers through the (in my case carbon fibre) body and into the tabs to hold it. Car in storage right now but you can see the screw (to the left of the NS ouick lift) and general idea in this photo:

or

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:30 »
Thanks very much. So it's a right angled tab welded to the grille each side and secured with a self tapper?
   Many thanks.  Gary

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:09:32 »
Gary,
   My Superblower is much the same, however the tabs incorporate a threaded socket to accommodate chrome dome headed bolts rather than self tappers.

Paul M

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 17:57:18 »
Gary,
   Now that Paul mentions it I think the right angled tabs on the grille  are also threaded on the CRS as well. Its been a while since I took mine off & car in storage for winter. I may be able to get a photo as I am due at the storage lot soon.
   Graham

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 23:41:42 »
Thanks fellas so..is the tab welded to the grille and the other end has an anchor nut fitted?

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 19:43:53 »
From memory there is a sheet metal stiffener which follows the top half of the oval grille, the three right angled tabs are formed as part of this item. The grille is mounted to this with pop rivets. The open edges of the grille have a split rubber moulding around the perimeter. The grille is then mounted at either side and at the top with threaded bolts, as you say anchor nuts or threaded sockets are welded to the tabs.
   Regards
   Paul M

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 21:44:19 »
Thanks Paul, I bought a genuine AC grille off an ex- Ac owner but it didn't come with any mounting brackets. The stiffener makes sense because as it is now, the grille is concave and I wondered how they achieved the flat surface. Has anyone got any images which demonstrate how the stiffener looks.Paul, is the stiffener right angled section, with the return leg making up the tabs?
   Many thanks.
   Gary

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 15:40:58 »
Gary,
   The stiffener from memory is from flat sheet, maybe 3mm thick and about 12mm wide and follows the outer profile of the upper half of the grille. The tabs are either formed from the flat pattern then bent at 90 degrees or possibly formed separately and pop riveted to the stiffener and mesh. I recall some of the details as I refitted my grille earlier this year having ran my car for about five years with it removed as I preferred the open look ! It then occurred to me that painting the grille matt black may achieve a favoured appearance whilst affording the radiator some protection from the stones and debris encountered on the back roads of Worcestershire.
    If I get an opportunity during the Christmas break I will remove it and forward a picture or two to assist.
   Paul M

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 22:28:29 »
Thanks Paul, my plan is to powder coat mine in matt or satin black. I have just spent best part of a grand on an ally rad and fan and didn't want to run the risk of stones flying up and puncturing it. Thanks for your help and advice.
   Gary