Author Topic: ignition coil  (Read 4725 times)

david langford

• View Profile
ignition coil
« on: October 30, 2016, 08:55:35 »
Hi guys
          Does anyone know a good replacement ignition coil? Mine is suspect and the sticker for make and model is long gone, all I have is a number on the bottom of the casing, which is 0489.
          Also, it seems to have a ballast resistor in the circuit so assuming it's a 6 volt one. Does anyone know if that's correct.

thanks Dave

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ignition coil
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 20:39:04 »
You can use a Ford mustang Coil of the era, it will work fine. I have seen cars with those as well as Lucas. Ford coil is probably a safer bet (Do not get a painted one which is cheap and made in Asia, get a plated one still made in the US) Why 6 volts when the system is 12v, thats not correct (I suspect it will run since a ballast resistor is a resistance and is not voltage dependent). The ballast resistor is used to lower the voltage to the coil by about 2 volts, so it runs cooler (Maximum old coil temp is about 165 degrees fahrenheit). When the starter is energized, The car won't start if there is no jumper to bypass it. If an electronic trigger is used in the distributor instead of points, you can't use a ballast resistor in most cases. A Modern MSD coil will do the trick and send much more energy to the plugs improving performance and fuel economy. I myself use a modified Ford distributor with an MSD trigger inside and an MSD ignition box installed under the dash. Look completely stock on the outside.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/coils/performance_street/parts/8200

Use this and peel the sticker, it will look factory. [:)]
   E

david langford

• View Profile
ignition coil
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 22:05:24 »
Hi Emmanueld
               Thanks for the reply and link. Not sure why there's a ballast resistor either and have no idea if the coil is 6 or 12 volt, there are no indications on it at all. Knowing what someone else has and works is probably the best way to go.
               How's your car coming along as it sounds from your post that you're using it?
         Dave

Emmanueld

• View Profile
ignition coil
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:46 »
Hi Dave, would you believe it is still not on the road, it is 80% done but now they are working on Jeffrey's car which is completely apart. They are finishing the wiring and have to reinstall the interior and trim pieces. So I am hoping next spring. I have been busy at work and also restoring vintage motorbikes as well as doing track days with my Porsche. so my interest has been elsewhere. Regarding the ignition, the car is 12volts so the ignition should be as well. I would install an electronic ignition and forget points and ballast. There are several British systems which work quite well. The problem is when the module fails you are stuck, with points and a few simple tools, you can almost always get home. All the best.
   E