AC Owners Club Forum > Recent ACs

New Continuation Cobras

(1/6) > >>

shep:
I just read the article in the October ACtion on Steve Gray's new batch of continuation Cobras, to be manufactured by his company AC Heritage at Brooklands. Priced at £500,000 each, I wondered what people thought about the exercise, which apparently has Alan Lubinsky's support?

Robin A Woolmer:
What is very strange is that the specification suggests a live rear axle & implied with transverse springs, so I do not know how the springs are to be held up!
   Anyway surly the chassis /suspension should be transverse springs with wishbone independent suspension all round as per the original Ace which obviously has a separate diff assembly.
   In terms of making replicas this is a very high cost & effectively premium for an AC badge when replicas of the same Original specification can be purchased from Hawk Cars for considerably less!
   The other issue is they are all left hand drive cars also if to be purchased in UK how will they pass IVA without considerable modification?

Bill P:
How will they pass emissions tests with a "new" 260 engine? How can they be original spec if they wish to pass the IVA test where switches etc will have to be rocker switches to comply with latest requirements?

rstainer:
November's Cobra Corner poses the questions:
* Built to the exact specification of the very first 1962 Cobra....Will Legacy Edition cobras meet road use standards?  
* AC Cars will build nine....Build in what sense?
* They will be handbuilt at AC Heritage.... But who is the Manufacturer?
* AC Cobra...260... Sure?
* Cobra.... Sure?
* MkI.... Sure?
* AC was established in 1901.... Sure?
* AC....retains the distinction of being the oldest British car maker still in operation... Still in operation?
* The original factory blue.... Where does this novel proposition come from?
* Live rear axle.... Another novel proposition?
   CC also suggests, where known, the answers.

RS

jrlucke:
Is the Hawk comparable to the new Steve Gray cars? I thought the Hawk was fiberglass and the AC Heritage cars aluminum.

When the CSX7000 series was announced the fiberglass cars were to be $96,000 and the aluminum cars $160,000 less running gear and so a complete aluminum car would have been around $200,000 US.

Being built by AC Heritage with AC licensing would add value but maybe not $300,000, but again with a volume of 9 they will be exclusive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version