Author Topic: 3 questions  (Read 22353 times)

Bill P

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 19:12:32 »
I am a member of the ACOC and fully support the request to keep the Forum open. I wouldn't want prospective members to think the ACOC was elitist by not allowing forum participation unless you were a member.

Exowner

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 10:57:10 »
A reply to all those who hope that the forum remains open to non-members. I'm glad you all appreciate it so much, maybe your appreciation might show itself by taking out membership of the ACOC for one year as a thank you to all those fully paid-up members who fund the forum that you appreciate so much? or am I, once again expecting too much from those that appreciate it?? It wouldn't be there if not for members -think about it - if you want a service, it has to be paid for.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 12:16:19 »
Glenn,

I am one of these guys you address: non-member, user of this forum and happy if it will be an open forum in the future. Will I become a member if this forum would be non-public? No, I wouldn't. There is nearly no benefit for me to become a member. Same reasons as Hobo wrote already. If you live outside of UK you do not participate in the social events.

I think the arguments for making this forum non-public focus a little to too much the costs of providing it. There are some people (including me) who spent a lot of time to keep this forum alive with their input. This takes a lot of time. Without this input the forum would not only non-public, it would be dead. If you want to make this forum non-public please make a simple check:

One the top of this page you can find a button called "Members". Just click it. You will see all members of this forum (these are not related to the ACOC members). They are sorted by the number of the posts in descending order). Our hero is Nik (more than 2000 posts) followed by Keith (more than 1200 posts). This list is 44 pages long. If you go on page 3 you find the members with less than 100 posts. I wouldn't call these people the "drivers" of this forum. They don't keep this forum alive. So check the first three pages who of these members are also ACOC members.

I don't know the answer but I am sure that you will get a feeling about the consequences making this forum non-public.  Maybe it will work out, I hope not.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hobo

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 12:51:17 »
I’m personally not against in a financial support to the ACOC-Forum in what form ever (temporary membership, sponsoring etc.) if the forum costs (as estimated above) is THE issue.....which I do not believe  As mentioned I do sponsoring for our German forum.
   The two Jeep-forum, sailing forum, clubcobra etc. even do not ask for sponsorship, same with the forums mentioned below.

The world is big enough, if you exclude AC enthusiasts they have a free choice and I believe the traffic on the ACOC-Forum will decrease significant and without them the ACOC-Forum would be less attractive.
   (In the past I have seen a Cobra-forum simple dying as the flow went to a “competitor” when the question of a “members-only” forum occurs)

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shelby-american-inc/
   http://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=4
   http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/ac-mkiv/
   http://www.cobra-forum.de/forum.php

Me and my AKL 1411:
   http://www.cobra-forum.de/showthread.php?11602-Back-on-the-road-))&p=124011#post124011

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 14:46:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobra

One the top of this page you can find a button called "Members". Just click it. You will see all members of this forum (these are not related to the ACOC members). They are sorted by the number of the posts in descending order). Our hero is Nik (more than 2000 posts) followed by Keith (more than 1200 posts). This list is 44 pages long. If you go on page 3 you find the members with less than 100 posts. I wouldn't call these people the "drivers" of this forum. They don't keep this forum alive. So check the first three pages who of these members are also ACOC members.
   ..... Peter

interesting point, Peter,

some more statistics:
   todate, the Forum has 1.091 members having posted 26.748 messages
   100+ messages: 6% of members account for 77% of traffic
   10-99 messages: 14% of members account for 18% of traffic
   1-9 messages: 43% of members account for 5% of traffic
   0 messages: 38% of members are silent

I have not been able yet to make a correlation between Forum members' activity and ACOC membership...  but will have a look .....

.... well a quick check reveals that: of the 62 Forum members having posted 100+ messages, 28 can be identified in the list of ACOC members (there may be just a bit more as it is some Forum members do not disclose their name), so barely half of the top players, but they account only for 29% of the total traffic respectively 38% of traffic by the top players.

This makes me come to the conclusion that loosing the non-ACOC members' traffic in case the Forum would be restricted to ACOC members would have a serious effect on traffic, unless we could convince them to subscribe to club membership [:)] [B)]
   This may be less difficult to achieve than getting our Club Members to generate more posts and offset the losses ...

nikbj68

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 17:03:50 »
Never been called a hero before. [:I]
   I have, however, been able to help a good number of members with various 'challenges' which I could not have done were this a members` only forum, and hope to continue to do so.
   In the big scheme of things, I don`t think the cost of the forum is a factor for a Club with the resources of the ACOC, but I do feel that some of the 'old guard' who do not, would not, and will never frequent the forum resent the cost of it, whether for members or non-members alike!

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 18:11:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

...but I do feel that some of the 'old guard' who do not, would not, and will never frequent the forum resent the cost of it, whether for members or non-members alike!

Nik, we hence have not seen and will not see their opinion expressed here! [;)] Your feeling cannot be based on content of this topic started on 4 October.

Bill P

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 18:13:07 »
I wonder how many present Members do not own an AC? Having sold my Ace I am sure I must be in the minority....

nikbj68

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 02:15:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux...[;)] Your feeling cannot be based on content of this topic started on 4 October.
Indeed. That`s from actually speaking to a couple of members at ACOC events!

Exowner

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 10:19:09 »
My original post is set out below- it read...

3 questions
   1/ Is it possible to make posting photos on our wonderful forum as easy as it is to attach a photo to an email? if not, why not?
   2/Is the ACOC forum open to non-members, if so, why? After all, it is the AC owner's club forum.
   3/ Why is the club in the process of wasting money on producing a Brexit register? All the registers are on the club website. Seems to be a complete waste of the club's money and, for those that give there time so willingly,a waste of it!

So far we have had masses of comment on member v non-member access to the club's forum (Q2). There has been masses of opinion, but no reason why the club's forum is open to non-member - I am still waiting for an answer!
   Everyone seems to think that posting photos on the forum could be easier (Q1), although those familiar with the process seem happy with things the way they are.
   As for why this so called bound 'Brexit Register' is in the pipe-line (Q3)????? nothing, not even from Keith.

I would like it noted that I asked Q1 & Q2 because I wished to know the answers (I have been educated by a fact that has transpired during this post - that most forums are open to non-members of the club running the forum). No opinion was included, alltough I can see how some assumed I was against non-member access. If these 2 questions are read without any 'baggage' you will see that they are only asking. Q3 is a little more opinionated, I'll grant you.
   I think my next move is an open letter to ACtion

TTM

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 10:44:34 »
Hello,

Here is a suggestion on how a revamped homepage could look like.
   Please note the Public area vs the different members areas, the latters being accessible to ACOC members only. (Do not click on the links, I just did this dummy homepage as a sample) :

http://mapage.noos.fr/tjmm/ACOC/Homepage_TEST.htm

As for the public vs private acces debate, there are several ways to skin a cat.
   Firstly it could be made that none of the forum could be made visible to people who are not already logged in.
   Secondly, depending of forum user credentials (ACOC member, non-ACOC member, Partner/Sponsor, etc) different types of access can probably be implemented.
   Again, food for thought.

quote:
Originally posted by dkp_cobraI am one of these guys you address: non-member, user of this forum and happy if it will be an open forum in the future. Will I become a member if this forum would be non-public? No, I wouldn't. There is nearly no benefit for me to become a member. Same reasons as Hobo wrote already. If you live outside of UK you do not participate in the social events.

I am also outside of the UK and would think that supporting the Club as a member is a first condition to be able to use any of the tools or facilities it provides. If I cannot participate to club events as much as I would like, then tough luck. FYI there are club representatives pretty much everywhere in Europe, it's up to local sections to organize social events, and a good reason I think for owners genuinely interested in getting the ball rolling to become full ACOC members.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 10:47:50 »
I've been watching this discussion for a while and answers are:

(1) I suspect that directly attaching photos isn't possible with this software - I know we discussed it when the site was set up but I can't remember the answer.  I've asked our site provider and am awaiting a reply.  At some stage we will probably have to move on to more modern Forum software and that would be a logical time to make the change.  I'll see what racecar say.

(2) A huge amount of historical and technical info has come to the club via the Forum which would never have surfaced had it only been open to ACOC members.  At its best (which is 99% of the time ) it also provides a very positive shop window for the club. There is no members-only forum because I (and the Council - we have discussed it in the past) don't believe there is a need and anyway, running this website as it is takes up plenty enough of my time and I'm not prepared to increase my workload.  I've been doing it for ten years so if any ACOC member wants to take over as webmaster, please let me know.  I'm quite happy to stand aside.

(3) I think there are about 100 - 120 regular or semi-regular Forum users and watchers.  There are ACOC members who do not have a computer, let alone look at the website.  ACtion and hard copy including the new register publication will therefore remain the principal means of communication to the other 500 - 600 club members.

Bryan

DGoose

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 11:00:59 »
Glenn,

Why not come along to the next council meeting, the 3 points you raise are all valid and have been discussed by the club council in detail and I'm sure will be again.

My own opinions regarding "The Brexit Register" are that as well as providing an important hard copy snap shot of where our cars are at a given point in history the register is something tangible to give to our members, including those with no desire to view the registers online. The online registers will also update periodically losing any historical relevance to members of course.

Maybe the title of the register is a bit emotive and could have simply been the 2016 register but then again it's all about the history.

One more thing, the knowledge and information that comes to the club through non-members using the forum is invaluable so please keep it coming.

David

Exowner

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 11:26:39 »
David, at last a reply to an actual question - many thanks.
   My view on the proposed register must be apparent from my post, however, if I had one of these 'Brexit registers' waved in front of my face - I'd take it, as it is, as you say, club history.
   But it is out of date the moment someone included changed car/address/email/phone No/aftershave.
   Maybe we should have had our own referendum - 'Do we, as a club, want a hard copy 2016 register' We could have had an on-line vote to show what the members rea........ Oh, I forgot no member can use the internet, can they, silly me.
   Maybe I'm up against 'Living in the past' syndrome, a lot of members like living in the past, but with one exception - I bet they know the bang-up-to-date  worth of the there precious car/s!!!!
   As for the reluctance to step into the new age in which we live - I have 2 comments
   1/ If learning how to use a modern PC solved all your financial problem - there would be no pc-illiterate people.
   2/ What's wrong with the good-old-days - I'll tell you - cholera, TB, Oswald Mosely,The 3-day week/ Jimmy Saville (he does such good work for charity...)/ Loon pants.......
   Look at the wonderful state of our motorcycle industry - silly little Japanese with there silly rice burners.........

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
3 questions
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 14:45:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

(1) I suspect that directly attaching photos isn't possible with this software - I know we discussed it when the site was set up but I can't remember the answer.  I've asked our site provider and am awaiting a reply.  At some stage we will probably have to move on to more modern Forum software and that would be a logical time to make the change.  I'll see what racecar say.
   ......Bryan

Bryan, thanks for your feedback on this element;

It is definitely a matter of software, but more important: it is a matter of hosting capacity:

- when we load photos directly, a copy of the photo is kept "on-site"; either directly in the text of the post, or by hidden mecanism of a link to a storage directly and solidly linked to the Forum; photos stay "active" as much as the post; this implies a huge amount of hosting and storage capacity linked directly to our Forun;

- when we use "remote loading" through services like Photobucket, we create a copy of our photo off-site and create a web-link to this copy which we then stick into the post on the Forum; here storage capacity requirements are with the Photobucket's of this world (and hence with the user of our Forum); not with the Forum itself; as mentioned before, one of the downsides of "remote loading" is that you have to manage the remote storage in a way to ensure that the link that was created and glued into the Forum's post, remains active: i.e. you cannot delete a photo from the Photobucket storage, you cannot move a photo to another "folder" within Photobucket; otherwise in your post on the Forum the link is still being shown, but it no longer works, as the link was a copy of the "address" where the photo was located when you created the link.

Sounds a bit complicated but is trivial.