Author Topic: MKIV. Tyre pressures.  (Read 2683 times)

REV

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« on: June 27, 2007, 20:27:13 »
Hi,
   Does anyone know what the recommended tyre pressures are for a MKIV? Or if theres not a recommended pressure what are the general pressures that others use?
   Thanks,
   Nick

jbottini

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 21:26:36 »
the data plate mounted on footbox under hood says 28 pounds. I typically run that pressure. Different tires  and operating circumstances (racing perhaps) would yield different pressure. I find 28 seems to work well with Dunlop SP8000's. Car is stable not squirrely and contact patch is uniform and relatively full width of tire.

REV

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 22:42:18 »
Thanks I appreciate that. My car doesnt have a data plate so I've been running on a trial and error basis. Maybe those plates were added on later models. Does the plate contain any more gems of knowledge that would be helpful? Even the cars hand book is a complete waste of time as no real information is contained. I dont suppose theres such a thing as a work shop manual?
   Thanks again
   Nick

jbottini

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 15:34:57 »
There is no work shop manual that any of us are aware of and if there were the running changes and besokeness might make them (the manual) useless. The plates under hood also give max gvwr and passenger  and baggage rating I think this number was 450 pounds. May have given rating for f & r axles as well. Will attempt a pictre and post over the weekend. Jim

jbottini

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 21:08:01 »
pictures I hope

REV

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:51:48 »
Hi Jim,
   thanks for posting that. My car definitely has not got that plate. AK1023 runs on 15" wheels though as opposed to 16". I thought my quest was over, but thanks for the information. Its one of the first MKIV's made and so is probably a little quirky. It also has a 427 side oiler engine. I don't know whether that extra weight will make any difference to the tyre pressures recommended. Any idea's?
   Thanks once again.
   Nick

jbottini

• View Profile
MKIV. Tyre pressures.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 14:23:21 »
the 427 is x pounds heavier than the 302, so it will make a difference. I'm not sur how to adjust or if it is necessary to for the 15 to 16 inch wheel. But the more weight over the tires the more critical is pressure. As you have  probably a 100 to 200 lbs more in front, I'd say 28 is where you should be at a minimum. Anything higher would be up to you.