Author Topic: Optimum water temperature  (Read 11714 times)

rsk289

• View Profile
Optimum water temperature
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 11:21:07 »
Hi Vince,
   Well - it's not producing anything like 600bhp until you get up to around 4,500 rpm or whatever, and under load.  Sitting there idling in traffic (which is the big problem time!) it'll only be producing a small fraction of that.  The real test of any cooling system is when you have a decent, long motorway cruise at high speed then suddenly need to idle for an hour, like joining the queue for the Dartford crossing!

I don't think I'd be too concerned if it was stabilising at around 80°C, although a little higher would be nicer.  Some folk run motors down at 60-65°C which is asking for trouble in my opinion.  Sounds as if just upping the fan switch range a bit to allow it to cut out now and then is a good place to start.

Vince Caldicott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 14:33:28 »
Hi Roger,  you are correct. I went to the revival this summer and sat for 45 minutes in solid traffic getting to the infield parking after a reasonable motorway journey. The big fan stayed on constantly with the temperature around 80 degrees, which as you say is bit lower than I'd like it. I will go ahead and change the switch and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help and advice.
   Vince

rsk289

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 14:41:07 »
I should add that it is worth checking temps with a good quality infra-red thermometer - the standard gauge may not be accurate.

Vince Caldicott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 14:48:41 »
Good point, I will add it to my Christmas list.