Author Topic: Help ID this AC 428 fastback in Ontario, Canada  (Read 4580 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Help ID this AC 428 fastback in Ontario, Canada
« on: September 24, 2016, 20:03:20 »
Can anyone identify the AC 428 Frua fastback coupe in these photos? Which chassis number is this car?  Is it CFX29?

I found these photos online. They were taken by Roy Simkins at the SAAC-7 convention in Great Gorge NJ in Aug 1982. As you can see the car was registered in Ontario, Canada, with the license plate "BUX 975" (1973 issue date). The "Cobra" emblem on the rear fascia might be a useful spotters clue.

Thanks for your help.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 22:24:17 »
No idea unfortunately as the only identification apart from the early dashboard and left hand drive, are the twin tail pipes on both sides so at a guess it might perhaps be CF 22 as it's got the same as well....?

http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/t16000149/cf-22/

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:45:00 »
Bit more info and an old post by Chuck Maddox I'd remembered (copied below), first clicking on the link in the first entry in CF 22, then on the second link below back to the the Club's forum brought up the following....

"The car is alive and well in California. LHD, auto, with Minilite wheels from factory. Original gold paint, original black leather. The 428 was sold to a man in Holland, I purchased it from his estate after his death, and imported it to the USA. The engine was rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted by the late Ak Miller, who raced Ford-engined specials up Pike's Peak. Very few miles on the car, I forget what the odomoter says."

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=473

Then scroll down to the entry by Chuck Maddox on 1st July 2007....

"I remember seeing [some 30 years ago] a letter to my father from the A.C. factory stating that two of these cars [in the 27-30 range] were exported to North America with the odd numbered one's going to either the USA and the Even's going to Canada or vice-versa. I have no idea where that paper is, but I strongly doubt it was ever thrown away. I will keep an eye out for it, though. One of these four cars I saw and rode in in the 1976-1978 epoch, it was a gray fastback in the Oakville/Greater Toronto Ontario area. At that time, it was in great mechanical shape, and I would suspect with a little detailing would have cleaned up to be in very good condition. But that was 30 years ago.

It occurs to me if the gentleman who owns #29 could share his example's particulars, we might be able to pencil in which numbers went to which country. I suppose we could assume it was one of the one's sent to America, but I don't think that this is a save assumption considering how many now seem to have migrated to different countries/continents .

Unfortunately, that's all my memory is able to assist at this time. If I unearth that letter from the factory, I'll post a scan of it.

[/i]
   Hope this helps….

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 14:32:44 »
Thanks. I had looked at the registry website you maintain for any clues.

More recent photos of CFX29 show it to have the same Cobra emblem on the rear fascia/sail panel.  It is within the range of the "Canadian export cars" above.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 21:10:28 »
Hi Jeffrey, this may be your car! [:D]

Actually I don't think so because when we stripped the paint, I don't remember any black among the various layers of paint. Also the beige leather interior is factory original! It does have a leather steering wheel like the photo. I will ask the restorer.

Here it is: "Yes! A verrrry isolated area on the top of the drivers fender, with several old repairs , which have been sprayed directly to the metal.

No black anywhere else, in any crevices.

Very suspect of some random black primer laying around  at an old repair shop.

So no black it seems!

Original color was a Light green metallic.

E[:)]