Author Topic: dashboard illumination  (Read 3367 times)

bex1151

• View Profile
dashboard illumination
« on: September 18, 2016, 03:00:23 »
I am in the process of restoring BEX1002.  The next task is restoring the dashboard.  The leather is new, gauges restored, and new wiring harness in hand.
   Now I need to figure out how the gauges are illuminated at night.  The old dashboard was a wiring mess.  The behind the dashboard lighting was 2 small bulbs without any housing or shielding.  It must have illuminated the floor and back of the gauges fine, but couldn't have done much to help reading the gauges.  I've looked through various references, but can't find any information. Can anyone help me with pictures, description of lighting housing, etc?

Norman

• View Profile
dashboard illumination
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 21:19:21 »
I have a 2.6 Ace (RSX5006) and many years ago had an AC-engined example which was very original (AE1141). The latter did indeed illuminate the footwells when the instrument lighting was on. Curiously, my 2.6 does not, though there is nothing much to stop it. The whole installation is quite hit and miss: the bulbs are mounted on small brackets and these are adjusted so that the bulb is as close as possible to the windows in the sides of the instruments. Nothing more scientific than that. The level of illumination is poor, it might not be a bad idea to add another couple of bulbs. Or you could fit halogen bulbs (I have), or LEDs. The latter use a lot less power and this will help your dynamo cope on that long wet night drive in winter with the heater fan on. Most of my bulbs are screw fitting but I have one bayonet-fitting, which I suspect is non-original. Hope that helps. If you want to look at my set-up, call me. 07729 618861 or 01524 849079 (location Lancs).

nikbj68

• View Profile
dashboard illumination
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:21:15 »
Courtesy of Jonathan Parker, This photo from rewiring AEX1194 which shows the lamp arrangement for the gauges perfectly.

+1 vote for mounting LED`s as Norman suggests above, but using yellow rather than white may give a more 'filamenty' colour to the lit gauge!

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
dashboard illumination
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:29:05 »
I've seen the bulbs mounted 90 degrees downwards from the position in the photo, so that they also illuminate the ammeter. I'd agree with nikbj68 about using the yellow LEDs, I think that you can even find them now to fit the original bulb holders.

Jam2

• View Profile
dashboard illumination
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 14:48:24 »
LEDs for nearly all applications
   http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm

bex1151

• View Profile
dashboard illumination
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:27:57 »
Thanks everyone!  I appreciate all the help.  Apparently I do still have some of the original equipment under the dash. The lights under my dash have some screw bases and some twist type.  Fortunately the tach and speedo are still screw type. I am considering some sort of reflector shield over the gauges to concentrate the light around the gauge rather than illuminating the entire underdash. I like the idea of using LED bulbs.  I'll look for warmer colored bulbs rather than the standard sunlight white color.  I still have the very elegant light original mounting brackets shown in the photo from nikbj68. It is VERY helpful. I noticed that the glove box appears to be leather rather than carpet as in my car.  Was there an original standard?   I appreciate the offer to look at Norman's installation, however my commute from Hawai'i makes it difficult. Again, thank you for all the input!

Aloha Terry Tusher