Author Topic: AK1318  (Read 4924 times)

mjf

• View Profile
AK1318
« on: September 09, 2016, 00:11:04 »
Is this car currently advertised by Hexagon pitched at the right price?  At less than one of the 26 AKL's but more than a "standard" AK I can understand the asking price - but what does anyone else think ?

BBK

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:37:12 »
Can you post a link?

Kevin C

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:02:06 »
This one:http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C718257  ?

It does seem to be offered at a good price

Exowner

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:11:01 »
It seems a lot of money to me. I would be surprised if it sells for anywhere near £150K! very surprised indeed.

mjf

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:56:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C

This one:http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C718257  ?

It does seem to be offered at a good price

Yes- that is the one.

TLegate

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 19:05:51 »
The classic car world now operates on the 'One Born Every Minute' principle. That and the 50%++ mark-up....

AC Ventura

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 01:40:38 »
I have been to see this car and spent a lot of time examining it. On the day I was there there was very little history available....to put it mildly. It seems the car was supplied as a l/w rolling shell by Autokraft and some years later was fitted with a Ford big block engine. I imagine that's when it was registered.
   It's now described as a 428 and not a 427 side oiler. Shelby also used this engine in period, but it's not the same at all. The engine fit is more than a tight in the bay, but I've never seen how good any of the 11 factory cars are.
   I remember AK offering rolling chassis at the end and some of the MK IVs in circulation today also had engines fitted after they left the factory. The question is, originality and motor spec aside, is it a usable, developed car? On a std rhd Mk IV, the drivers footwell moulding covers up the wing vent, as does the battery on the other side. Bad enough in summer traffic on a 5L 302, but a 7L? I can't see how this allows effective cooling. Some of the paint in the pedal box was blistered, but that might be normal. Does have 3" exhaust tubing, which is correct and very difficult to fit.
   I thought it a fab looking car, despite having potentially some issues now and in the future.

mjf

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 18:11:22 »
Thanks for your input it is much appreciated - I had wondered about the origins of the 428 motor. It makes me think a 302 might be a less troublesome route for me to go as I try and make a first step of AC ownership.

quote:
Originally posted by AC Ventura

I have been to see this car and spent a lot of time examining it. On the day I was there there was very little history available....to put it mildly. It seems the car was supplied as a l/w rolling shell by Autokraft and some years later was fitted with a Ford big block engine. I imagine that's when it was registered.
   It's now described as a 428 and not a 427 side oiler. Shelby also used this engine in period, but it's not the same at all. The engine fit is more than a tight in the bay, but I've never seen how good any of the 11 factory cars are.
   I remember AK offering rolling chassis at the end and some of the MK IVs in circulation today also had engines fitted after they left the factory. The question is, originality and motor spec aside, is it a usable, developed car? On a std rhd Mk IV, the drivers footwell moulding covers up the wing vent, as does the battery on the other side. Bad enough in summer traffic on a 5L 302, but a 7L? I can't see how this allows effective cooling. Some of the paint in the pedal box was blistered, but that might be normal. Does have 3" exhaust tubing, which is correct and very difficult to fit.
   I thought it a fab looking car, despite having potentially some issues now and in the future.

AC Ventura

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 17:34:08 »
Martin you can PM me if you need any buying or other advice. The 302 should definitely be the least trouble and the most economical, but depends on what you are looking for. I'm a Mk IV 302 owner of about 18 months and think I have a good understanding the car and how the market operates. I've done 6000 miles in it already which is not the norm. I'm modifying it too, which is not everyone's cup of tea, but am very pleased I persevered with the long journey to finally own one.

Kevin C

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 14:56:19 »
Hexagon now seem to have sold the car. Mike your engine swap sound like a fantastic project. Is there any chance of you posting some pictures and detailing your progress in the Mk4 Forum?

AC Ventura

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 17:37:50 »
Kevin, it will be vastly more than an engine swap. The entire engine bay will be reconfigured and heat dissipation will probably be the biggest challenge. That means footwells, pedal box, trans tunnel, exhaust etc. However, I'm determined that it will look like a factory job or better when finished. The key is an all aluminium engine that weighs little more that the iron 302. I hope to show the big block Cobra can corner as well as it goes, traction issues aside. The project has been met with quite a lot of resistance from many Mk IV owners and those who give a reason, say the small block works better. I'm sure that's right. But I'm interested in experiencing the legend and well, the Mk IV has the big block body shape anyhow. Yes I will post pictures if anybody is interested when it gets under way in earnest. The new engine and transmission won't be here unti mid 2017 and the car wont be taken apart until then. I expect it to take 9 months with a little longer to debug. I already tried the plate and that fits okay!

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 00:13:37 »
Hah! Love it!!
   Please keep us fed with progress photos, if you look at the forum stats, the 'build' threads are probably the most read of all!

westcott

• View Profile
AK1318
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 22:14:44 »
Sounds very interesting i like the FE engines.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!