Author Topic: Which oil ?  (Read 2941 times)

mattwithers

• View Profile
Which oil ?
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:00:38 »
Please can someone help, I have an uprated Ford 302 engine & don't know what oil to use, any suggestions ? Thanks, Matt

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Which oil ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 21:06:24 »
Its hard to know what to recommend without knowing your engines history and how you use the car.
   Have you no details of what was used previously/recommended by the enginebuilder/last owner/last place to service it?

Are you on synthetic,semi syn or mineral? The MkIV CRS chassis handbook recommends Mobil 1 fully synthetic(printed in 2000).Not sure what the MkIV handbook states.

I have a recently stroked 302 now 347 and use miller 15w60 cfs fully synthetic for competition or modified engines.

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=179§or=Motorsport

More importantly are you using a bigger filter than stock? I run a large WIX 51515 filter

Also-do you have an oil cooler if so you need to think about draining that/it may be thermostatic.
   Graham

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Which oil ?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 23:05:55 »
The MkIV owner's handbook that came with my car (July 1993) includes a "Forecourt Data Card" specifying SAE 15W/40 or SAE 15W/50 of API SF-SG/CD or equivalent.
   On page 5.9 of the Specifications section it mentions CASTROL RX Super SAE 15W/40 or CASTROL GTX SAE 15W/50.

nick Godridge

• View Profile
Which oil ?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:03:30 »
Hi, Graham, can you please expand on your comment about draining the oil filter and thermostatic?
   I would like to know  why those things matter.

Thx
   Nick g

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Which oil ?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:39:19 »
Nick -its not an issue if you know what oil is in your car and can replace like with like,or are confident that the oil cooler and lines will drain when you drain the sump.

In the case stated it seem like the current oil is unknown,so why I suggested also draining the oil cooler assembly to avoid mixing unknown oil types.

Graham