Author Topic: Chassis Modification  (Read 4033 times)

Vince Caldicott

• View Profile
Chassis Modification
« on: August 18, 2016, 16:17:26 »
I'm in the process of replacing my 428 FE with a 427 FE side oiler. I have a problem with the chassis cross member between the engine and gearbox is in the way of the larger sump pan on the new engine. The garage is suggesting modifying the chassis by removing the cross member and replacing it with an alternative bracing. I have some concerns about doing this and wondered if any members have had to solve a similar problem and if so, how did it work out? Any help would be very appreciated.
   Vince

rsk289

• View Profile
Chassis Modification
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 00:00:57 »
Unless your crossmember has been modified in the past to fit the 428, Vince, definitely do not modify it now to fit the 427!

There are very many variations of Ford sump pans available.  It is likely that the engine you have sourced is fitted with a sump for a different application.  I'm no expert on 427s in Cobras, but I'm sure someone will chime in with information regarding the correct 427 sump for your car.  If not, you could try asking Paul Blore over on the 289 Register forum as he has a '65 side oiler in his 427 which has a correct-spec chassis.

I suspect this is the kind of shape you need:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mil-31130/overview/make/ford

Vince Caldicott

• View Profile
Chassis Modification
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:47:59 »
Thanks for the reply and advice, I will try and contact Paul at the 289 register and see what he has. According to the spec on the sump it states that it is a correct 427 FE sump. I will post some pictures.
   Vince

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Chassis Modification
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:45 »
   Vince.

Two names that come to mind who may be able to give advice:

Big Al at Thunder Road. or  Alan Faulkner- Stevens of Dragon Wheels ( ACOC MK1V  Registrar )
   Both are fully conversant with stock and modified Cobras..[;)]

Keith

Vince Caldicott

• View Profile
Chassis Modification
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:31:50 »
Big Al is fitting the engine for me, I have just spoken to Steve Grey and found a solution to the problem, it seems that the chassis cross member between the engine and gearbox should be a 3 inch tube, not a 4 inch tube which mine has. Called Big Al and he had already recognised the issue and the solution which is to replace the tube with the correct size tube. I have a tendency of over re-reacting to problems, it seems that I should relax, and leave it to the experts. Thanks for the replies.

Vince Caldicott

• View Profile
Chassis Modification
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 23:32:18 »
Update on the chassis saga, it seems that the cross member was the correct 3 inch tubing, engine and gearbox now installed with a small modification to the bell housing. One issue to resolve is the existing connection between the gearbox (rug 4 speed top loader) and the prop doesn't,t fit the new gearbox. Any ideas on where I can find one would be appreciated. It needs to have 31 splines and has a dia of 1 3/16".
   Vince