Author Topic: Original Ford engine number  (Read 2763 times)

Thunderbold

• View Profile
Original Ford engine number
« on: August 16, 2016, 23:12:35 »
Hello from Switzerland !
   I am owning AK1240 build in 1988 originally with a 5.0 EFI engine with 224 HP.
   One of the pre-owners in Germany let the engine tune according to Ford Motorsport specifications delivering >>400 HP with 4 Weber double carbs. Unfortunately, the tuner (American Car Service Düsseldorf) changes the Motor number.
   Recently, I moved to Switzerland and there I need a "Abgaswartungsdokument" (emission control document) for the Swiss technical authority with the original Ford engine number. Has anybody an idea how I can find our what the original engine number for my Mk IV was?
   Best regards from Thunderbold

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 23:24:30 »
is it not stated on the identification tag in the engine bay? or did the German tuner alter the plate?

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 13:45:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux

is it not stated on the identification tag in the engine bay? or did the German tuner alter the plate?

On my car the chassis number (e.g., 1240) was stamped on the block, located on the right front corner below the water pump.

Thunderbold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 23:30:07 »
Thanks for your answers. Actually, the AC identification tag shows identical numbers for the body and for the engine. Both is 1240. However, the original Ford engine had definitely a different much longer number. I don`t think that Ford used different number formats for the engines produced for the Mustang and for the AC Mk IV. Probably AC changed the original Ford production number into the AC engine number, and in my case this number has again been changed by the tuner.

Thunderbold

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 23:31:12 »
The tuner did not change the plate but did change the number stamped on the block