Author Topic: Jack Sears 1930 - 2016  (Read 2653 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Jack Sears 1930 - 2016
« on: August 10, 2016, 22:46:56 »
In common with many other enthusiasts I have been reading the obituaries for Gentleman Jack. Not one has come near to doing his life justice. I would recommend reading Simon Taylor's Motorsport 'Lunch With Jack Sears' article:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/june-2010/80/lunch-jack-sears

Just that Brands Hatch black flag race would elevate him to the Pantheon of motor sports, never mind the rest.
   Irreplaceable.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Jack Sears 1930 - 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 15:22:05 »
Jack Sears is the reason my father wanted 39PH, the Willment Cobra that Jack drove. Not a Cobra, that Cobra; and amazingly, 3 years after seeing Jack drive at Goodwood, he was able to buy and race it.
   Meeting Jack over the last few years, his clear recollection of races, duels and super-human feats (the Black Flag race) recounted with such passion and eloquence, you felt transported back to those events, and the years between evaporated in his eyes and you would believe it was only yesterday.
   Sadly, being born after Jack retired from racing, I never got to see him in action -
   They say 'Never meet your heroes', but my life is enriched from the few hours I spent with Jack over the years.

Doug Nye Remembers 'Gentleman' Jack Sears on the Goodwood website.

TLegate

• View Profile
Jack Sears 1930 - 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 22:09:49 »
I have to agree that the obituaries are sadly lacking any sense of the person Jack was, although, as usual, Doug had a handle on it. However, to summarise his remarkable life in just a few paragraphs is impossible. For me, knowing I'll never again bump into him in the paddock at the Revival is just plain depressing.

My association with the Cobra really got under way properly when I met 39PH and, although the books I fired out concerning the Cobra could be a trial sometimes, they allowed me to meet memorable people; in my former life as a photographer I came into close contact with royalty, captains of industry and sports stars of many kinds but you can count he ones that impressed me on the fingers of one hand. Top of my list is Jack. (Followed very closely by Mike Costin as they are gentlemen cast from the same mold that no longer exists, I believe). Jack was incredibly generous with his time and patience, even with muppets such as me - modern sports 'stars' could learn so much from his legacy - and he always made me welcome at the Grange. Our last meeting there was scheduled to last for one hour but went on..and on....and I loved the books on his coffee table! Then there was the meeting at Brands with Jackie Stewart, Jack and 39PH....so many jokes and memories and mutual respect. Then Jack jumped into the Cobra and got told off for driving too fast and making too much noise!!! And a Cobra meeting in Germany where I spent two days in Jack's company...sitting in the hotel with Jack, Diana and Jochen Mass as they traded stories. Jack could also put away the vino although he regretted it in the morning. Luckily his day behind the wheel of a Cobra didn't include being breathalyzed! I did tell him :)

During our conversations, I was genuinely amazed at how competitive he remained despite not having raced in anger for decades. The conviction that he was as good, if not better, than any other driver out there was as strong as it must have been back in the day. Apart from Jim Clark of course - even Mike Costin confirms that the great Scot was something different (and Mike could match Graham Hill in Lotus 49). Doug Nye's comment about Jack spotting a gap in the traffic ring true - he was a race driver to the very end.