Author Topic: COB-COX Owners engine numbers  (Read 3824 times)

Morgy

• View Profile
COB-COX Owners engine numbers
« on: August 07, 2016, 18:54:19 »
Hi...

If there are any owners of COB61** COX61** 1966-1967 here that would be able to inform me what engine cast numbers they have on there engine I would be very grateful.  I am trying to source a Ford 289 HiPo engine for my car and would like to have the correct casting Date numbers etc...
   I would assume that as my car was delivered 30/1/67 the engine code would be   C6AE-6015E  I have been told many times AC made these cars out of parts that were "laying around" [:)] would it be possible that the engine could be of a much earlier Casting date? C5AE-6015E
   I have asked Ned and i'm waiting for confirmation about his car but I would also like to know the numbers on 6112 -6114    6117-6118 if these still have the correct engine..

Any help with this would be really helpful

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:40:11 »
I don't know that this will help you but from what I have seen the "Engine No." on foot box tags for that series of cars usually the engine assembly date of the engine stamped on the block in front of the LH cylinder head. Because assembly dates were used for engine numbers I have notice more than one car using the same number. The only two I recorded were COB6120 using 6D13F and COX6122 using 6D12F. I recorded those two by chance. 6D12F and 6D13F are April 12 and April 13 1966.

It might be a long shot but you might ask Bob Mannel what engine specifications were in use by Ford mid April 1966.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Morgy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:19:25 »
Thanks for the reply

those assembly dates are some 8 months before my cars consignment date, Assembly dates to my knowledge are around one month after casting.

Also those dates on 6120-6122 are some 12-15 months before there consignment date.

Chances are the engine should be a early 66 unit  but i would hate to actually find what i think i need only to discover 6118-6119  6121-6126 has an Original late 1965 unit..

I thought COB6120 was converted to 427 spec

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 13:50:23 »
Lord Ned's automobile received 6D13W

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 17:58:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Morgy

Thanks for the reply

those assembly dates are some 8 months before my cars consignment date, Assembly dates to my knowledge are around one month after casting.

Also those dates on 6120-6122 are some 12-15 months before there consignment date.

Chances are the engine should be a early 66 unit  but i would hate to actually find what i think i need only to discover 6118-6119  6121-6126 has an Original late 1965 unit..

I thought COB6120 was converted to 427 spec

Ford High Performance 289 engines of any model year were never more than a tiny fraction of Ford 289 engine production.  With exception of some known very rare odd circumstances production 289 engine blocks were drawn from running production as required, inspected, and if passed pressed into HP289 engine service in short order.  There are several “dates” associated in some way with engine blocks (or many other Ford parts). Ones related to engine blocks that some of us discuss are dates that revisions to specifications and or engineering numbers change, dates parts of those revision went into final assemblies, dates particular parts were cast, dates particular engine blocks  were machined, and the date a particular machined block was integrated into a new engine assembly. It is very common for dates on the engine block in a HP289 engine to be very close together.  Casting to machining might range from a few days to a few weeks normally. Machining dates and engine assembly dates could have been the same day, the next day, or slightly further apart but usually pretty close.

Bob Mannel did extensive research on the 221/260/289/302 (non-Boss) engine family a long time ago when it was still possible to sample just about everything and sources within Ford Motor Company were still around to help. His book is the go to reference book for all those engines 1962-1969. I highly recommend it as a reference for anybody working with any of those engines.
   http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

The best clue to what type HP289 engine your car received is the “Engine No.”. That number might be listed in the original sales documentation. That number was normally stamped into the foot box data tag.  Possibilities are Ford serial number (most five bolt HP289 engine blocks), Shelby serial number (only a few unaccounted for Shelby works engine assembly serial numbers, FAV engine assembly number (only one known case), or six bolt style engines without serial numbers from Ford  (AC Cars normally adopted the engine assembly date as an engine number).
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.