Author Topic: R.I.P 428 classic cars august 2016  (Read 7419 times)

siegfried

• View Profile
R.I.P 428 classic cars august 2016
« on: June 26, 2016, 17:02:27 »

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:22:01 »
A few years ago, Clive Bowyer organised Driving Tests for the ACOC at Dunsfold and this car came along.  The driver got out and was one of the sweatiest things I've ever seen.  He had already had to stop once to cool off (him, not the car).  It wasn't a cold day but it wasn't that hot.  I wonder if the article mentions air conditioning?

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:38 »
Thinking about this Aceca conversion recently, I saw a news story some time ago about a stationary MGB in a queue near Heathrow that was rear ended by a taxi still going at speed that caused it to immediately concertina unfortunately killing the driver instantly.

Being no expert at all but thinking about the huge chassis on the 428 and this Aceca built from a rolled 428, would a standard 428 chassis still meet today's much stricter safety standards without any alteration especially given the cross feed petrol pipes just behind the rear bumper....?

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 17:38:00 »
That's an interesting question. Does any 1960 designed chassis stand up to modern scrutiny? Thoughts as to where fuel pipes were to be routed were more down to convenience and availability of parts bin components. The trouble is, you could re-engineer the whole car to make it safer, faster and more pleasant to drive, but then you no longer experience the 1960s when you go for a spin. I don't think it is a bad thing that this period Hot Rod retains faithful to its roots.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 21:17:56 »
I saw a South African sports car about a year ago, forgot the name it was very modern and exotic with a modern Corvette engine and when we opened the hood, I saw the motor far back in the chassis and upon closer inspection it looked very much like a Cobra Chassis. So I couldn't resist, looked underneath and here it was, A Cobra 427/AC428 chassis in a modern exotic car. I can't remember the name of the the car.

E[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 21:30:16 »
After consulting the Web, I now remember it! The Perana-Z-One.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/22/2013-perana-z-one-first-drive-review/

A modern sports car with AC heritage, An almost identical Chassis. 4" inch tubes, identical suspension towers for all 4 corners, very similar cast alloy suspension triangles " a la Kirkham" Etc.
   Classicus, here is your modern rendition of the 428. Immortal design!

Actually even better, The dealer is Santa Monica is a friend of mine whom I have not seen in several years, he is the Morgan dealer here in LA.  I will give him a buzz tomorrow.

E[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 22:03:03 »
Actually got my answer, read on:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perana_Performance_Group

E

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 22:55:24 »
Emmanueld, Alan Lubinsky and AC Cars tried to do a deal with the Perana people to badge it as an AC 378 GT Zagato. Steve Gray at AC Heritage had a blue one which he brought to a few AC gatherings. It looked fabulous and I said to him I would like to promote the model and make a race car version, but unfortunately it came to nothing. There still needs to be a lot of development and finishing, but it looked the part. Look on this ACOC Forum under "Recent ACs" and you will see the AC 378 GT Zagato. All the best, Andy.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:44:09 »
Too bad that did not happen!

Emmanuel