Author Topic: Vokes air filter & filtering part  (Read 4488 times)

TTM

• View Profile
Vokes air filter & filtering part
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:11:11 »
Hello,

Just curious what other chaps on here use as a replacement for the filtering part in Vokes air filter "camemberts"?
   It looks like something might be available from K&N but I would rather steer clear from oiled filters, especially pink ones.

Thanks.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:54 »
   TTM.

( Are you in UK, Europe, USA ) [?]

Thankfully most of us still have the original Vokes air filters, the KN ones you refer to, are used by some but can prove to be either very close to the underside of the bonnet (Hood ) or stop the bonnet fully closing.

In the UK one or two people have reproduced Good Copies of the Vokes Air Filter,  suggest you try Tony Byford, Steve Gray, Brian Eacott or  Jonathan Bradburn to name but four.

Keith

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:50:45 »
Hello Keith,

Thank you for your message. I am in Europe.

I have original Vokes filter assemblies, I was just wondering how to clean the grill holding the filtering "cloth" efficiently.
   I did it once already using domestic wash-up liquid but even after several and repeated attempts there is always a little bit of filth coming out, although they are now admittedly quite a bit cleaner than when I got the car.

Should I just keep on washing them until no dust/filth whatsoever comes out or try something else?
   Someone near me suggested to clean the cloth with fuel but I am concerned that may be a bit too aggressive?
   The AC handbook is not helfpul on this subject.

In the past I used to play with Porsche engines using alloy sleeves that are very sensitive to foreign objects, and I like the idea of air filters that work as efficiently as possible. I am probably overly-concerned though, as the steel sleeves in the Bristol block are probably tough enough to cope with the Vokes' filtering capability which I imagine a tad inferior to modern paper filters...

Thanks,
   Thomas

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 14:37:20 »

Thomas

I simply remove the filter elements and soak them in petrol, use old tooth brush to scrub numerous times then use a airline to dry and hopefully leave units clean and ready to refit and give another years service...[;)]

you will be surprised at how dirty and black the  petrol  becomes, even doing same exercise every year (4500/5000 mile).[:0]

Good Luck

Keith

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 17:44:59 »
I do the 1" thick K&N washable filters £87.75 for a set of three plus vat P&P is free. Steve Stanton does the same but thicker approximately 1" 3/4 but these do not fit under some bonnets so do please check your clearances. Ring me on 01453 833591 or 07803 923878.

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Re: Vokes air filter & filtering part
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 05:38:24 »
Hello!
ater cleaning the Vokes filters wire mesh should be soaked in oil to catch dirt particles?
or just left dry?
Eddie

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 09:20:32 »
The wire filter came out pretty clean after washing.
Do you soak it in oil or not?
Eddie

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 10:05:43 »
The filter should have a quick dip in light oil or a coat of spray oil made for foam air cleaners.
Like this one. https://www.motul.com/ee/en/products/a2-air-filter-oil-spray

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 16:11:22 »
Thanks KlassiK Metall!
I should have already some K&N oil for filters. I think what i have is for a fabric type of filter, not foam. But hopefully is still good enough.
My main question was to know if some oil has to be used or not.
Thanks!
Eddie

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 13:59:23 »
Hello!
i belive the filter with the cut out as the one i am working on are Smiths, and not Vokes as i tought.
i saw some photos of unrestored ones, and they carry a stiker where it is indicated after cleaning to dip them in oil.
Thank you all,
Eddie

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 18:33:30 »
SpqrEddie

All three of my original Vokes air  Filters have always had a conertina type  dry element. I wash then out with petrol then dry with airline.
Workshop manual states use airline to clean the dry elements, not recommended to soak and refit as the pores could clog.
I have never experienced any problem with the Vokes  air filters  over the past 22 years and 69.000 mile plus use.

Does any one know of supply of original spec filter elements ?
Keith

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 08:07:48 »
Hello Keith,
thank you for your answer,
I was confused by the shape. but i belive now that the AC Weller engine type I posted in the photo above, are Smiths.
Different from the Vokes used on the Bristol engine.

The filtering element seems to be different.  A wire bundle on the Smiths (metal and fiber, probably the fiber component made to retain the oil in wich it is reccomended to be soaked); and the concertina tipe on the Vokes.

I see the Vokes are availble here (not just the filtering element, but complete):

http://parts.inracing.co.uk/p/vokes-air-filter-complete-assembly(469)

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/air-filter-front-original-type-ahh5147.html

Best,
Eddie

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 14:14:01 »
Hello,

As I did not feel confident with the solution of soaking the old and dirty filtering elements in fluid I ended up purchasing a set of these from IN Racing. They are perfect but they come at a price. I will certainly attempt to clean the old sets in view to put them back into service once the time comes.