Author Topic: AC Ace diff unit  (Read 2836 times)

Will Mahany

• View Profile
AC Ace diff unit
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:23:09 »
Anyone know where I may be able to get a complete spare diff unit for a 1955 Ace to re-build?  Thanks.

Norman

• View Profile
AC Ace diff unit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 00:23:45 »
Hi Will

At the risk of telling you things you already know, I think you have a problem on your hands. The diff from my 1961 Ace 2.6, which to the best of my knowledge is the same ENV unit as yours, was stolen some years ago while the car was in pieces and even with insurance money to spend I had great trouble finding a replacement, in any condition. I can advise you of what not to do, however, namely buy one from a 2 Litre Saloon! I found out the hard way that they are similar but not interchangeable. Probably your best bet is to widen the search and find out what other cars the unit was fitted to, there is bound to be an ENV anorak out there somewhere. The only other application I know about is the Cooper-Bristol racer, and there aren't many of those around!

Good luck.

Norman Burr

R Warlop

• View Profile
AC Ace diff unit
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 16:14:41 »
For my Greyhound, I was told the diff is the same as the one on the Volvo Amazon(bar the casing) - if this can help expand your search.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
AC Ace diff unit
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:03:34 »
Reginald and Will,
   The Volvo did indeed use an ENV diff. and it was from the same model range as the G'hound, but used a much lower gear ratio so the crownwheel and pinion are not much help. In addition and more importantly, it is a much later and different model to the Ace diff. I have not tried, but suspect that a G'hound (or Volvo) nosepiece would not fit the Ace diff. housing or the output shafts ?