Author Topic: AE77 - new owner  (Read 3266 times)

Will Mahany

• View Profile
AE77 - new owner
« on: May 31, 2016, 17:49:38 »
Would be interested to hear from anyone who knows of any history of AE77 which I have recently acquired.

Car is all up and running, with its original engine and other major components as far as I can see but needs a little sorting and tidying.  Aiming to make the car authentic for its time (1955). It needs new shock absorbers (any advice on those?) and I would like to get hold of an alternative CW&P with a lower ratio, 9:41 I think, as part of preparing it for some competitive work.  Am also after an FIA type (lower) wind screen and corresponding side screens, or bits to make etc, and a Lucas wiring diagram for an AC engined Ace would be very useful.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks and Regards
   William Mahany

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
AE77 - new owner
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 23:06:49 »
Will,
   Nice to see another early Ace ACtive again. There have been some discussions of dampers on the forum. This is maybe helpful: http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4195&SearchTerms=Ace,shock,absorbers
   So far as diff. ratios are concerned I would suggest great caution: The Weller engine has great torque and more bhp than was claimed, but it will not withstand over revving. Play to your strengths - use the torque, keep the revs down.
   The le Mans 'screen - which is what I suppose you are referring to - would have to be copied from an original example like BE214. So far as the FIA are concerned would they expect the full road equipment 'screen regardless of historic authenticity ?
   The wiring diagram is in the General Instructions handbook, reprints available from the Club.
   In any event good luck with the sorting and tidying

Will Mahany

• View Profile
AE77 - new owner
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:39:48 »
Thank you, much appreciated.  I'll check out the damper discussion as mine are a bit worn out.  I need a spare diff unit ideally and would like one to re-build so I can learn more about them.  Any idea where I can get one?  I believe old spares for re-build are available from ex-AC Saloons?  I'll ponder the ratios more for sure. Regards.

Will Mahany

• View Profile
AE77 - new owner
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:08:26 »
Not sure how to post a picture to show the FIA screen?

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
AE77 - new owner
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:28 »
To insert a photo:

1.  Open a free account at photobucket.com
   2.  Upload your photo - you may need to resize it first.  800 x 600 is a good size ("Document Small" in some descriptions).
   3.  Open the photo in your photobucket library and on the right are 4 links.  Click on the bottom one (IMG) and it will flash Copied
   4.  Paste the link into your Forum post where you want the photo to appear
   5.  You don't have to do the next step but if you don't the link as well as the photo will appear.  If you do this you only get the photo: delete the first and last parts of the link so you are left with the part that starts and ends with [img]

It's a bit involved but saves the club having to pay for storing photos.