Author Topic: A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate  (Read 5567 times)

WHDSpencer

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« on: May 22, 2016, 20:36:45 »

I have a 1965 Gordon Levy Racing built Factory Five COBRA with a A.C.Cars Ltd Thames Ditton, England ID Plate on the COBRA body.
   The Plate has the following identification:
   Chassis   FFR1373K
   Engine    M-6009-B50

This COBRA and engine was built by Gordon Levy Racing. Although it has been fully documented. What does this ID Plate Really indicate.
   THanks
   William Spencer
   Waldorf, MD 20602

westcott

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 22:51:39 »
Hi William,

the plate you are talking about is available for order at almost every "Cobra parts" supplier or online store. It indicates that someone bought the lookalike plate for a Factory Five Racing Kit and stamped in the required chassis and engine number, not more.

Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

rstainer

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:47 »
Uwe is spot on. AC Cars chassis tags, whether made for AC or after-market suppliers, tell us nothing of the origin of the car unless the car itself has 'continuous history' as a car since original manufacture.

If it has continuous history since original manufacture by Factory Five, it's a Factory Five. If it has continuous history since original manufacture by AC (either under the Shelby contract or for sale through AC's agents), it's an AC.

RS

WHDSpencer

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 17:27:49 »
Thanks for the Replies. I have full documentation on this COBRA which was built by LEVY RACING. Information included in some of the records show a
   connection between AC and LEVY. There is some documents dating back in the 1930's that indicate LEVY Racing was working with AC as a North American
   distributor.  I am just trying to validate the life of this COBRA which I purchased from a MECUM Auction in California.

Mark IV

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 22:33:28 »
Levy Racing that built this car was certainly NOT the "AC Distributor" in the US in the 1930s. Gordon Levy was not born yet!

jrlucke

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:55:28 »
Factory Five's own website says "The Factory Five Mk4 Roadster is the world’s best-selling, best-engineered, and best-performing replica of all time." SO basically it is a component car with a reproduction AC ID tag designed to look like a Cobra (with a notation that "Cobra" is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company).

A-Snake

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:00:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

Factory Five's own website says "The Factory Five Mk4 Roadster is the world’s best-selling, best-engineered, and best-performing replica of all time." SO basically it is a component car with a reproduction AC ID tag designed to look like a Cobra (with a notation that "Cobra" is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company).

Factory Five began building replicas in 1995. They had no association with AC Cars whatsoever.

TLegate

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 17:01:19 »
What you have is a Factory Five replica and a piece of metal with 'AC Cars' stamped on it. I've got a stack of those in my desk drawer. Sadly, that don't make my desk a Cobra. (Although I sometimes pretend, late at night...it's the absinthe y'know...)

Happy motoring! :)

Mark IV

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 19:46:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

...it's the absinthe y'know...)

Trevor,

So you have upgraded from the ironmonger's alcohol you were drinking?

TLegate

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 22:06:55 »
Lord M:

Only because you cut off my supply! I was becoming immortal :(

aaron

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 23:35:15 »
How have you managed to fit so many replicas in your drawer Trevor ?

TLegate

• View Profile
A.C.Cars Ltd ID Plate
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 17:27:52 »
Big drawers....