Author Topic: Steering for AE 29  (Read 1653 times)

AE29

• View Profile
Steering for AE 29
« on: May 07, 2016, 20:27:26 »
Folks,

I am in the process of restoring Ace AE29 in California.  I have a couple questions that forum members might be able to help with.  First, AE29 has a bib for the license plate on the nose, please refer to photo below.  The bib is clearly an add-on, although well done, and I was wondering if the bib or color scheme would give any clues to its history.

Secondly, at some point, probably when the car was brought to the U.S., it was converted to left hand drive.  I want to return it to the original specifications, which means finding an original RHD steering box and column to replace a rack & pinion added in the LHD conversion.  I have contacted several sources, with no luck yet.  Any help in locating the RHD steering box and column would be welcome.  Also, I need the idler, tie rods, and drag link.  Again, your help would be much appreciated.

In general, if anyone has any information about the history of AE29, I would be grateful for even the smallest details.  I already know it was first purchased in 1954 by Colonel R.T. Black, U.S.A.

Thanks,
   Jim