Author Topic: Needle rollers  (Read 3004 times)

Norman

• View Profile
Needle rollers
« on: April 17, 2016, 22:18:53 »
Just a thought while my Ace is receiving some routine TLC on the steering and front suspension: has anyone ever replaced any of the plain bushes or thrust washers with needle roller versions and if so, what was the result? I appreciate that some machining might be required.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Needle rollers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 21:02:26 »
I've worked on cars with needle roller kingpins & ball thrust races. I've not seen a car converted from bronze bushes though. I think it would be possible to do so on Ace setup but I tend to think that the additional problems would out way any great benefits. For a start the needle rollers would need to run against a hardened steel sleeve pressed into the stub axle.

Why are you contemplating this modification, heavy steering or just worn out original components?

Regards Luke.

Norman

• View Profile
Needle rollers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 00:55:56 »
I do find the steering heavy. I have lived with it for 45 years so I'm not about to do anything precipitate, but if there was a proven mod to improve it I would probably go for it. I ask right now because the kingpins need rebushing. Don't fancy being the guinea pig though! Thanks for your thoughts.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
Needle rollers
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 22:38:47 »
When the steering system on an Ace or Aceca is working correctly it should not be overly heavy. However I've found the following issues to be the cause of both heavy steering or wayward handling. Badly adjusted or setup steering boxes, bent outer & inner steering columns, binding steering idlers or ball joints, excessively wide wheels & tyres.

Another problem I've come across is the incorrect fitment of the front uprights. These are handed but are sometimes swapped over, leading to negative castor & subsequent terrible handling.

The uprights are also prone to accident damage also effecting castor angles. I've also seen a couple of Aces with the front suspension tower bent backwards from accident damage. This has the effect of increasing the castor angle also leading to heavy steering.

I believe your car is fitted with a Zephyr engine & should therefore be fitted with uprights that have only 3 degrees of castor, unlike the lighter engined AC & Bristol  powered cars that were fitted with uprights giving 5 degrees. The 3 degree uprights also seem to have been fitted to the heavier Aceca.

Anyway, it's worth having a closer look when you strip the car down to do the kingpins.

Regards Luke.

Norman

• View Profile
Needle rollers
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 14:16:21 »
Thank you Luke. My car does indeed have a Zephyr engine. I'm sure my uprights are the originals and are not damaged. Wheels are quite wide: (5.5 inch, 15 inch dia), tyres are 70-section 185 Avon ZZ. The steering is no worse than it was in 1971 when I bought the car with narrow 16" wheels and gripless Michelin X tyres, I think it's just that the driver is getting older and wanting an easier life!