Author Topic: Girling 2 l/s front brakes  (Read 3942 times)

Karl Smith

• View Profile
Girling 2 l/s front brakes
« on: March 18, 2016, 20:36:43 »
I have recently begun the restoration of the remains of a couple of AC's that were two out of three cannibalised by a previous owner to create just one look-a-like that is, I believe, now in South Africa.

What I have is the chassis and most of the bodyshell of L1123 plus parts of LX841. The bulk of the latter apparently sadly went as scrap.

The biggest headache I've found to date is the seizure of all front brake hydraulic cylinders. Note, despite info to the contrary, L1123 has two leading shoe front brakes. The rear mechanical ones are fine but nothing in my tool kits can shift the others. Unfortunately, I don't have an hydraulic pump, otherwise I'd try to force them out.

I've found one source of 4 new ones - at a hellish price! And for overhaul (including sleeving and new pistons) for only a little less.

Does anyone have any ideas or any of these cylinders available at sensible prices, please? I'm pretty sure they'll be the same as some I bought from Les Ballamy (LMB) to fit to my 1172 Rochdale GT Ford Special back in the fifties.

I do have a dismantled Moss rear axle and matching front from L841, also bonnet panels and rear wings plus their spats, steering box, master cylinder etc if anyone needs these items, maybe we could agree terms?

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:38:43 »
Hi Karl

I beleive some austin a40/70 cylinders are the same as are some old tractor ones. The austin used some that are slightly different but looking at the later ones look as if they would fit as well, with a small adjustment to the backplate.

There is a girling listing on the interweb that shows all girling fittings but takes some time to trawl through.

I might be interested in the spats will pm you.

Cheers  Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 18:23:47 »

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 18:27:54 »
Hi Karl and anyone else in the same situation. There is a spares supplier near me MEV Spares that stocks the Austin A70 ones for the earlier car at approx £95 for the four, which I believe are the same as the AC ones. I am happy to visit and check them out for you. I may even get some my self.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

Karl Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 20:49:46 »
Thanks Gary

I've trawled the list and found that round about page 23/4 there is a complete list of 1946-51 cars using the same model (Girling PN 390212-3)
   They were used on numerous Austins of the same era, notably A40 (DEvon, Dorset, Countryman), A70 and A90 Atlantic, as well as Crompton Parkinson electric commercials.

I'm meeting Leo Archibald tomorrow - he thinks he may be able to get mine apart for inspection &, maybe, recovery. If not I'll pop into Rimmer Bros at Lincoln next week and see what they can find. I've a gut feeling that something similar may have been fitted to some LandRovers.

Will keep the thread going if I have any luck.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 14:24:07 »
Hi Karl  I did look at Landrover ones as I did own a couple of the years but these only fitted the older single leading shoes brake setups.

Have you tried buying releasing fluid in a bottle and just dropping in it for a few days, worked on an Riley I had.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

Karl Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 18:16:52 »
Hello again Gary
   Been to see Leo and he's taken all 4 cylinders to "play" with. He's done it before, apparently and, if he fails, I'll follow up with MEV as you suggest.

There's no panic yet as I'm very much at the start of quite a series of tasks on it.

Karl

Karl Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 18:10:02 »
Couple of points to address since I asked a question and received some very good advice and offers, thanks so much everyone, especially Gary & Leo.
   First, Leo sorted out my front brake cylinders and supplied new seals. Rear brake rod covers obtained OK. Otherwise the restoration of L1123 has been "somewhat mixed". The front end is coming on quite well although the king pins are still exceptionally stiff, but the rear end is a disaster, especially the near side that is fragile in the extreme. I'm working on a complete reinforcement of that whole area.

That leads me to a query Gary raised some time back re towbars. I've got the assembly from my former Cavalier that almost fits but my personal opinion is that, even as-new I'd never have risked towing with that design of rear chassis. Any significant load could conceivably yank the whole lot off or concertina it. And all the ACs looked too good to risk that! I reckon the boot floor and chassis side members were always too fragile, even when new.