Author Topic: 2 Litre Saloon 70th anniversary?  (Read 4441 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
2 Litre Saloon 70th anniversary?
« on: March 04, 2016, 09:28:27 »
Hi

I see in Action that Mike in his belief is suggesting that this years national is also the 70th anniversary of the saloon as as such should be celebrated by having a bigger line up of saloons there.

Now whilst I applaud his desire to see more 2 litre saloons at the national, as these do seem to be much maligned by the classic car press and dare I say it not fully supported by ACOC and as Mike said in a recent communication with me, the club has celebrated various anniversaries of the Ace (which is quite a pleasant car) no club support for the anniversary of saloon seems to be forthcoming. It was after a mainstay of AC and without it maybe the Ace and Cobra would never have seen the light of day.

However, back to my main point. It is clear that the whilst 1946 was indeed the year the prototype chassis was made and registered, it was in fact clothed in an earlier open tourer body. The saloon did not come to fruition until 1947 (I think Oct 47 being one of the first production cars). So my point is perhaps the ACOC council would in fact get behind the 2 litre for next years national, wherever that may be, even pushing a bit into the classic car press about it. I shall be doing my bit by contact some of the magazines I subscribe to with a little write up about the Saloon (assuming they deem the saloon worthy of mention, yes I know sour gripes  No! just fed up with so called journalist calling them stodgy post war examples of cars, whilst loving the Healy and Allard of a similar period and similar looks).

Anyway I love the 2 litre, and people who meet m,e ans see the car seem to appreciate it, even at the London New Years parade many numbers of people wanted to photograph it and even sit in it, many saying they did know of AC but knew the Cobra.

Lets give the saloon it rightful celebration of its 70th with the clubs support. I am happy to help in some way (not sure how useful I'll be but would give it a go).

Cheers.  Now must get back to getting the engine out of the ol girl as I am taking her to France in 3 weeks and then to Southwold in Suffolk in April.

Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 13:31:37 »
Gary,
   I do sympathise with your view of modern journalism, however to counter the epitaph 'stodgy' one might suggest the need is for evidence. Not my field, but I believe the 2 litre saloon had success both in saloon car racing and in rallying. Perhaps John Spencer might help you with some evidence from the archives ? I certainly recollect a few rides with Chris Bowers in his saloon which opened my eyes to how quickly she could cover the ground.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 18:14:37 »
OPG192 the Hurlock car  comes to mind--not sure if its still at AC Heritage? Remember the shots of it at the rest and be thankful? In a not so distant ACtion Archive where some of the dates were "straightened out" for various AC 2 litre RAC rally events at the "rest".

It does beg the question as to how many roadworthy 2 litre saloons there are on the road,or are they all in garages/laid up/part of a long term restoration.

A full restoration would not be a light undertaking ,and not financially viable if "farmed out" due to the ash frame,let alone an engine rebuild.

MPL340 also seemed to be a regular competitor-I love the angled lights at the front:

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 17:32:06 »
Hi Guys  cheers for the info. I do have a large collection of old Actions, which I think had a lot lot of Johns material in especially the racing ones.

Not sure How many actually exist as roadworthy cars I Know of 5 from contact on this site. But maybe owners could make themselves known.

I may go to the next council meeting in March and see if the council would support an anniversary for the 2 litre next year.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 23:41:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by ACOCArch

[/URL]ote]Originally posted by GSouthee

Gary & Barry
   From the factory ledger, the first car in the Two-Litre section is Chassis L800. This was an experimental car, a 1939 drop-head body on a two-litre chassis, first registered on 6th April 1946.

The prototype Two-Litre saloon, Chassis L801, was first registered on 3rd January 1947. This is shown below.

Dates of ACtion Archives etc about the Two-Litre are:

General: March 2004, May 2006, June 2006, November 2007;
   Racing: July 2010, July 2012;
   Rallying: February 2012, November 2013, April 2014, March 2015;
   Personal Interest: 'Sowing The Seeds' August 2013

Regarding anniversaries, we celebrated the Two-Litre's 60th in 2007, based on the date of the first saloon. I suggest we leave it to the Registrar to adjudicate on the 70th. Either way, you will gather from the August 2013 article that I intend to be pretty near the front waving a very large flag!

Best wishes   John

PS Any assistance you can offer with identifying the chassis number of NNU 911 would be hugely appreciated. All the usual sources have no information. Car details are - Year: 1949; body colour: metallic grey - later light blue; Interior: blue leather; Agent: probably Cavendish Motors Chesterfield; hydro-mechanical brakes; pintle side-lights; single dip headlights; Fram bypass oil filter, ignition key MRN 1 .........
   [/quote]

Karl Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 22:38:57 »
Interesting comments that many consider the AC 2 litre to be boring, fuddy duddy, old hat etc but, living in Croydon (not a million miles from Thames Ditton) they were fairly common sights in my youth. For some reason we used to call them "Doctors' Saloons); maybe the windscreen seemed too vertical and the roofline a bit high (providing headroom to drive when wearing a hat, that was a criterion for some much earlier cars.
   Anyway, they may not have been as sleeks as Jags of the early 50's and didn't have the apparent appeal of Allards etc - probably because the majority of their drivers didn't want the top down or compete on tracks as much.

To my mind they remain one of the most elegant saloon cars produced and the modest numbers produced adds to their appeal. Yes, 70 year commemoration would be great - but only if ine is ready in time!

Karl

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 01:19:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Smith Interesting comments that many consider the AC 2 litre to be boring, fuddy duddy, old hat etc

In the 1950s, we were lucky to own a car. After a pre-war Hillman Minx the AC Two-Litre was anything but dull! The road test was the first time I had travelled at 60mph - in anything! Years later we once saw over 90mph on the speedo!

There were no motorways, few dual carriageways and speed limits only in built-up areas. The car was great on the open road and little stopped us. This photo of NNU 911 and family was taken on Beeley Moor Derbyshire, 20th Febrary 1955.

Fondly remembered motoring in a different era and, for me, look what it lead to!

[/URL]

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by GSouthee

I see in Action that Mike ... is suggesting that this years national is also the 70th anniversary of the saloon .....

Based on the information posted above on 7th March, and with Mike Berrisford's full agreement, the ACOC Council have decided we will celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the AC Two-Litre in 2017.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:14:06 »
Hi Many thanks to the Council and Mike etc etc.  I am sure that during the time from now until next year we can garner some support for as many 2 Litre saloons to be seen at next years National (wherever that may be).

I use my 2 litre almost daily around my locale here in Kent and for forages into Suffolk and France, The Ol' girl is always liked and attracts people attention, only the other day when up in Duxford to meet Karl who is deep into getting his 2 litre done and for me to collect some rear wings with spats etc. she attracted many comments whilst at the pub.

Anyway here's to next year  and remember if it were not for the 2 litre getting AC through the post war years we may never have had the Ace (very pretty) and Cobra (well each to their own).

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 10:57:51 »
   Gary

With your ever growing contacts and enthusiasm for the AC 2 litre Saloon, Let's hope you and Mike can get together to promote an exceptional 70th Anniversary
   for the 2 Litre Saloon

For the "50th Anniversary of the Ace",  John Arnold, Linzi Smart and their  team gathered 103 AC's at Kedleston Hall and a magnificient grid of 32 Aces & Acecas for the 50th Anniversary race at Donnington the day before..[;)].

Best Ace at the 2003 National ( 50th Ace Anniversary ) went to Karl Faber from Germany in his Highly polished Ace Bristol, But.....
   wait for it...... Overall Prize, as if to show diversity of the AC marque, went to Leo Archibald's 2 Litre Saloon, painstakingly restored over several Years.

Looking forward to Next years National, where ever it may be and the best  and biggest gathering of AC 2 litre Saloons,complemented by numerous other AC's
   spanning 100 years plus...[:p]

Please keep in close contact with Mike,  The ACOC Council and the 2017 AC National organising team....  With 12 months or more to prepare...Should really fly the AC flag....  [;)].

Keith..[:)]

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 14:20:56 »
Hi Keith

Cheers,  I will indeed keep in contact. I hope the date and venue for next years National is known early enough, so as to allow holidays etc to be planned for those interested.

I am writing a bit for the 'My classic' for Classic and Sports Car Mag, and will be making sure that people know its the 70th next year.

Perhaps a drive out from the National next year could be a goer as well.

Oh and this morning just popped out to Rye in Sussex and was asked if my car was a Riley!!!!!! then when told it was an AC he asked if it was the original'COBRA' before the yanks go their hands on it. I did explain to the poor old chap that no it was not, he did not realise AC made anything other than COBRA's. Oh well another now the wiser about AC history.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.