Author Topic: Coupe moulds  (Read 9576 times)

crs28

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« on: March 03, 2016, 21:06:46 »
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/6/

does anybody have any info on this?

SunDude

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 00:52:42 »
Is that the Mamba concept car?

ACOCArch

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:03:31 »
quote:
does anybody have any info on this?

This looks to be part of the AC Mamba project which was started at the Brooklands factory circa 2000. Photo below, courtesy AC Cars, is of the mock-up at Brooklands

[/URL]

I last saw the car at Frimley in an incomplete state. It seems likely the project found its way to Malta when AC moved there.

TLegate

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:45:34 »
Which probably means it's sitting in a shipping container somewhere in darkest Surrey. (Some would say it's the best place for it. I, of course, couldn't possibly comment)

Mark IV

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 16:56:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Which probably means it's sitting in a shipping container somewhere in darkest Surrey. (Some would say it's the best place for it. I, of course, couldn't possibly comment)

Oh Great Cobra Czar, thanks be to you that thou hast passed judgement upon yonder aborted project! And thank the gods that the "Mamba" WAS aborted!

And aren't we expecting some sort of tome from you forthwith?

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 20:48:44 »
Funny thing beauty - eye of the beholder and all that. I thought the concept was very attractive, both in pictures and in the flesh and ahead of its time with the Black Mamba burning petrol and the Green Mamba propane. Had the Mamba reached production and more importantly delivery I would have thought there would have been a market. One of those 'what ifs' that we all love to speculate on.....

SJ351

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 22:50:37 »
I saw the Mamba prototype under wraps at the factory just before its unveiling at the Motorshow. Barrie's LeMans coupe was also waiting in the wings from memory along with the Lotus engined 212SC.

TLegate

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 10:59:59 »
I guess when I happened upon the Mamba on a couple of occasions, it was possibly not looking its best (although one time was at the so-called Centenary bash). However as Lord Muck has observed, I have gazed upon thy works and found them wanting, for verily the kwality of said workmanship indicated a right lash-up. My judgement is, of course, final.

In fairness, had a car been completed, painted properly and was road-ready, it might have looked less like an inferior Tonka toy.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 15:03:11 »
Trevor,
   At great risk to personal safety I have been deep in to the furthest reaches of the dustiest filing cabinet to find you this - is that you lurking in the background ?

Do read this little piece at the foot of the page and cringe at what passes for journalism

There were also some indistinct pictures from various angles:

The whole question of coupé versions of the Cobra family is quite strange. Everyone seems to have thought it a cracking idea and, from the earliest days, it was obvious that converting the Ace 2.6 to V8 power was no different to converting the Aceca 2.6. The precedent was well and truly set in period, not only with the Aceca being significantly faster than the Ace in a straight line, but also with the Richardson Aceca Jaguar, which used to appear at the Brighton Speed Trials. I seem to remember some very high speeds being achieved. In addition the competition Cobra quickly grew a roof and then a coupé body: Yet there never was a coupé version of the production road car by Thames Ditton or subsequent proprietors. I suppose the Mamba comes closest ?

TLegate

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 16:28:32 »
Nope, I was lurking but those photos don't record my lurk. Nor is that me with the long blonde hair. Never been blonde, but it's always worth considering. Grey is so now....

Those photos kinda confirm (on my planet) that it was one fugly muttha from almost every angle. I fell about when I read of the LPG option - when I'm down, I pull out the interviews with the boss man and his comments never fail to make my smile once more. Luckily they don't allow me access to sharp implements in this place. Hahaha!!

ACOCArch

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 00:18:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by B.P.Bird

From memory, an AC Mamba was offered as a prize in a Daily Telegraph competition, circa Y2001. One wonders what happened about that?

TLegate

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:30:57 »
Darn, I had forgotten about that! I'm still awaiting delivery.... :) My MX5 will have to serve me in the meantime :(

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 22:19:26 »
It was won by a friend of mine. He never got it and received a different car from the Daily Telegraph

terry3000me

• View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 11:09:52 »
Gentlemen take a look at ACtion June 2007, that may answer a few questions.
   Terry

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Coupe moulds
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 14:43:43 »
Now that is a pretty car, much smoother lined than the big (steroidal) Cobra, which in my mind is not particularly nice looking.

But this, with maybe a Lexus V8 on LPG and in a deep yellow, I would have anytime.

But as said earlier on beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No  No  No  I dont want go back to me cell!
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.