Author Topic: Lapbelts bungee cord in 2L saloon , vanity mirror!  (Read 2929 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Lapbelts bungee cord in 2L saloon , vanity mirror!
« on: January 18, 2016, 19:33:32 »
Hi has any one fitted lap belts, are there any best bolt locations etc.

Cheers  Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 17:22:12 »
Well been in the car rummaging about with a couple of old leather belts to see where a lap belt could be sited then under the car to see if any suitable location for one to be bolted to. Does not look to be a goer, I could make up a bit of box section to weld in under the floor to fit them but  for the amount of protection they would give does seem to justify the work and messing around with the chassis.

So I've decided to use a bungee cord around the neck and hook it to the something in the rear, that should work if the stretch is calculated correctly I should be able to stop before I hit the steering wheel and be pulled back into the seat on rebound. I wonder if someone would test it out for me? the wife is not keen.

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:41:26 »
Come on!  AC ownership isn't THAT bad!!

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 12:01:05 »
If you do go this route, I think you should avoid any of the cheaper low quality bungee cord, that's mostly sold nowadays. With a bit of luck you might be able to find some NOS period correct bungee. Could be pricey though as it's much sort after for holding shut all those racing Cobra boot lids.[:)]

In all seriousness you could try talking to Quickfit in Stanmore as they specialize in fitting seat belts in classic vehicles. http://www.quickfitsbs.com/

Regards Luke.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:58:48 »
Hi Admin  No AC ownership is great, I love the 'Ol Girl' and she always attracts people to chat with with.

Luke  cheers for that, I did try to pinch some of the back of a Cobra, but the 'Ol Girl'  could not keep up and the wife thought leaning out of the suicide door was a bit precarious for her!! Well, it was her idea for the belts I thought she could at least help out.

I did speak to Quickfit as the Ally Pally classic car show the man said he had never fitted them to an AC saloon, he suggested bracket welded on underneath somewhere.

Now if the wife does not come up with any other ideas I might be able to fiddle with improving performance ad tad, after all I have fitted some drop down chrome handles from I think a 1940/50's Daimler/Riley/Alvis to the doors as the little groove in the door top kept damaging her nail varnish when pulling the door to. Also she would like a vanity mirror on the sun blind, I suggested leaning out of the window and looking in the mirror would be ok, looks like vanity mirror is to come as well.

Cheers all  Gary

My car my rules.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 19:09:36 »
A vanity mirror, Outrageous! I hope you realise that this is just the thin end of the wedge, if you start by giving in here it could soon lead to further requests for a functioning heater, air con & seat warmers!

All the best Luke.