Author Topic: ac ace replica  (Read 3823 times)

kiwiace

• View Profile
ac ace replica
« on: May 12, 2007, 22:46:40 »
CAn anyone help me with some info, trying to figure out what parts I can pinch for an ac ace 2.6 or cobra replica so far I have this inclomplete list of parts:

Engine    ford zephyr mk2/ford 289 v8
   Gearbox   ? ford ? / toploader (which car can interchange?)
   rear end   early IRS jag ?
   Steering   MGB ?
   Front/rear hubs/joints   ?any ideas?

Some of you may already have been-there-and-done-that and can give me some guidance on what is sensible here.

hawk289

• View Profile
ac ace replica
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 23:26:02 »
Hi,

Which replica are you buiding, I assume the Hawk 1.8/2.6 (http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/hawk289/hawk18_26.html) If this is the case then have a chat with Gerry or have a look at www.the289register.com.

I hope this helps.

John

twogreens

• View Profile
ac ace replica
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:03:01 »
Hi Kiwi,
   As John said, Gerry Hawkridge is the man to talk to.  Prior to buying my MkIV I had one of Gerry's Hawk 289's.  The major components were as follows:
   - Ford 302 v8
   - Borg Warner T6 gearbox
   - Salisbury (MGB V8) differential with Quaif ATB (LSD) internals
   - Hawk/NF double wishbone front suspension with MGR V8 discs
   - MGB kart springs on rear with Koni adjustable dampers, anti tramps bars and Panhard rod
   - Modified MGB steering rack

On the 289 replica you have a choice of engine and rear suspension.  General experience in the Hawk community is that the 302 produces a better balanced car over the 3.5 Rover V8 alternative.  Jag IRS rear suspension gives better road holding but the MGB rear is more predictable.

If it would be helpful I can email a fuller spec sheet for my particular car.  If you go onto the Hawk website and look at the product/289/comp prices section you will find a list of components that will give you a lot of the finer detail.

Hope that helps.

Regards
   Rick