Author Topic: Carbs Back from rebuild and fitted.  (Read 5533 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Carbs Back from rebuild and fitted.
« on: December 04, 2015, 13:33:34 »
So while I am buggering about trying to get cylinder head off and I have carbs off anyway, thought I'd get them rebuilt so off they go to G W Carbs a chap called Glenn who ha been doing SU for a long time now, he does a lot for the Mini Cooper boys and MG's.

Found one has a leaky float (its got fuel in it) 2 of the carbs flood out into the carb throat when parked up, and play in 2 of the carbs spindles. Still not bad for 66 years old.

I am going to go to 1 1/4 in the long term once I find 3 bodies and dashpots etc. as these will take my float chambers and thermo carb fitting as per 1 1/8. Glenn is also going to keep an eye out for me for some bodies etc. Then get them rebuilt make adaptors and all good, keep the originals in a box for any future owner.

So they should be back by Xmas all nice and rebuilt and shiny.

Cheers  G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 16:28:58 »
Hi

Carbs are back after a full rebuild, New Floats as old ones were solder repaired and one was leaking, 2 of the carbs kept flooding, the thermo choke occasionally flooded out of top, this was caused by the bolt holding top on was broken and replaced with a stud at an angle causing top not to seat properly. Bent needle and ovaled seating where needle had worn it down. One of the pistons was scored.

All new spindles with new teflon bushings, new jets, needles, new brass bolts etc etc. Had them done with standard needles DW's. Fantastic job all polished etc.

Great turnaround by Glen of G W Carbs http://www.gwcarbs.com/ only took 2 weeks from leaving me. Great cost as well £500.

While I was waiting and doing all my other bits and bobs see head gasket fiasco on this forum. I decided to clean up manifolds and balance/choke pipe.

Heres some pics of before and after.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3opipuev15qzunp/AAAQ7n8vh-MwE6CSJVnbOa4Wa?dl=0

So just got fit and tune in to engine as carbs are all set to factory settings (may be all good as are).

Now will be able to run engine up and re torque head etc.

So will be ready for New Years day parade as long as my pins come out of foot on New Years Eve (consultant says all should be fine)

Cheers  Gary

My car my rules.

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:16:19 »
Good luck with the restart, Gary.
Barbara

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 17:38:50 »
Cheers for that but not so good, seems valve timing is out and after fitting all the manifolds back on (looks nice) there is water leaking from the middle one from that rather daft water outlet in the head. I gave the head a good clean and scraped all round the mounting point used Hylomar and a nice new gasket but leakage anyway.

So it was back off with the carbs and manifolds, clean up, again! Cut some new gaskets from a slightly thicker gasket material, using the ones from Rod Briggs as templates,  more Hylomar and remount carbs, tighten up and leave it to set overnight.

Retry after valve timing reset and check ignition timing as well, tomorrow.

Fingers crossed. All good then.

Cheers  G

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 15:30:55 »
Hi  as can be seen from my other post all is well with the head gasket problem.  So  carbs finally all installed, just need final fettle and tune up to optimum settings and all is go. They are already running very smoothly but a little rich so will do mixture and I have to say that even the tick over setting is extremely close to perfect direct from Glen's setup after rebuild.

Wont be till after Xmas as missus would kill me.

All in all she don't look bad now.

So here a couple of pics of carbs in place.

http://Hi  as can be seen from my other post all is well with the head gasket problem.  So  carbs finally all installed, just need final fettle and tune up to optimum settings and all is go. They are already running very smoothly but a little rich so will do mixture and I have to say that even the tick over setting is extremely close to perfect direct from Glen's setup after rebuild. Wont be till after Xmas as missus would kill me. So here,s a cuople of pics of carbs in place. [url]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2rqv9i1sfx55vpu/AACGn-rBe9_8fCsatOTARXqya?dl=0

Cheers all and a merry xmas and a happy new year to you all.

My car my rules.

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 17:24:48 »
Gary,  what a super looking engine bay.

Foregive my ignorance, but it is now 20 years since I had an AC engined car,  is it usual to earth the battery through the engine?

Happy Christmas
   John

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 18:10:13 »
It would be better to earth as near to the starter as possible  then also run a strap onto the chassis as well from that point

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 21:13:20 »
Lovely job [:)]
Barbara

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:33:32 »
Hi John and Robin

The earthing was as it came when I got the car, there are 2 heavy earth cables to the chassis as well for the body mounted items like lights horn etc but as the main heavy items requiring earth are on the engine ie dynamo starter dizzy carb solenoid it seems to make some sense, I think.

Although I have others with the earth like this or direct to the block elsewhere it seems AC saloon electrics are not all the same, but then that was AC.

Cheers  Be774 just alittle more to clean up and cant wait to test on road, hopefully new years eve.

Cheers all  Gary

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 16:36:09 »
Well after a good run and a slow poodle in the New Years parade, she ran ok, slightly rich still me thinks and tick over running a bit fast, so will sort that out tomorrow. Definitely pulling better and appears to be a bit better on fuel economy as well.

So work done on carbs was worth it.

Thats all.

G

My car my rules.