Author Topic: Linda Scott racing Bill Love's Ace  (Read 6551 times)

bbrown

• View Profile
Linda Scott racing Bill Love's Ace
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:07:49 »
Today I was researching photos and old magazines for images of my Ace and I ran into this old article on female racers.  The article is in the Fall 1958 edition of Sports Car Quarterly.  It was a Southern California publication, so obviously they would have photos of Southern California cars.  And with the article featuring women, Shelby and Reventlow had to be mentioned.

It was really nice to see an Ace prominently featured!  Of course, not just any Ace, but Bill Love's Ace!  Bill was well known as being the guy that could give the Corvettes a hard time on the race track and he was a consistent winner.

This Ace is back in the UK undergoing restoration and I know that Tim Isles is searching for Linda Scott, but in the meantime maybe a few photos will suffice.

Bert

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:15:26 »
   Bert.

Great little piece of History, even better that we now have this Ace Bristol in the UK as parts are easier to find than in USA and will be restored to a very high standard..[^]

For more information on  Linda Scott,  (the Late )Denise McCluggan, Evelyn Mull, Ruth Levy, Mary Davis,  Ginny Sims to name but a few who made their Name and left a big mark in  Sports Car racing in the 1950s/1960s in not only Clubman events but in the SCCA Championship and Sebring..

Check out:-  " FAST WOMEN " The Legendary Ladies of Racing.  by   Todd McCarthy.....ISBN  1-4013-5202-2... Well worth searching out a copy on Amazon or ebay.

Nice to hear you are still researching the racing History of your Ace Bristol..[^].  Please share your spoils, could well produce New information and  Pictures  of our Ace Bristol's  racing in USA & Canada during the late 1950's and early 1960's..[;)].

There are now many members doing the same on the history of their Ace Bristol's,  We can all benefit by sharing on the ACOC  Forum..[^].

Good Luck in your quest for more information on your Ace and Let's hope Tim Isles gets in contact with Linda Scott. ( There's got to be some great stories and archive material out there)

Cheers for Now..

Keith..[:)]

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 18:20:52 »
Keith,

Thanks for the note and comments.

I have recently uncovered some incredible photos of BEX239 and I have been in contact with Gordon Crowder's family and they promised to go through family photos.  I have been overwhelmed with information but I still have leads to chase down.  I have to gather things together before reporting on BEX239.  Gordon's racing also intertwines with Bill Love as they had some sort of a partnership and competed together at Sebring in 1958 in Bill's car.

Cheers, Bert

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 11:15:52 »

Bert.

Great to hear your research on the History of your Ace Bristol BEX239 is producing positive results.
   Any chance of setting up a separate thread on the History and restoration of BEX239..[?].

Hopefully you and Tim Isles make contact with Linda Scott and her Family, which should produce more race history on both Linda Scott and Bill Love,
   with the added bonus that new information and photographs come to light on the race history  of various Ace Bristol's raced in Period. . [;)]

Keith

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 23:58:30 »
Keith,

Regarding your note:

History, yes!  I have a number of pictures and race results to post and upcoming holiday should give me time at the computer to post.

Restoration, not so fast. [:)]   I have acquired most of the needed parts, but actual work on the car not started.  I am selling another car to provide space in my garage.  I need to find a source for body panels and Bristol engine.

Bert

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 22:58:19 »
"Check out:- " FAST WOMEN " The Legendary Ladies of Racing. by Todd McCarthy"

This is a great book. Wish I could read it without seething with jealousy.  What a wonderful time to race.

I am pretty sure Tim is a member of the "Fabulous Fifties" group from CA.  I would think someone in that group would know Linda Scott.  I know that I was out recently for a party and they all still had stories to tell about these ladies.  I'll ask around and see if anyone might know of Linda Scott's whereabouts today.

stuartu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 12:59:11 »
I have an interest in Linda Scott's drives in a Willment in the CalClub days.
   Does anyone know her present whereabouts if, indeed, she is still with us?
   Regards,
   Stuart

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 22:09:37 »
Bill Wonder came to our AC event at the Simeone Automotive Museum in Philadelphia last week.  Peter Rohrbacher was instrumental in putting the show together (along with Dave Hutchinson of Ragtops and Roadsters).  Pete owns BEX 308 - another Bill Wonder car.  Bill is 93 now but he gave a great talk about racing in the old days.  Knowing he had a weakness for ice cream I made sure there was some available at the end of the event.  Needless to say we became fast friends.  I went to visit him at his amazing shop and it was a wonderful five hours filled with cars and stories about drivers.
   At 93 he is in no hurry to settle down and relax.
   If anyone has specific questions like the one above you can send them to me directly and I can search for the answers in our vast and ever growing research center at the Simeone.  I may have a lead on Linda Scott.  Will update the forum if I have any success.
   Kelly

stuartu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 18:04:26 »
Thank you for bearing Linda Scott in mind, Kelly.
   Kind regards,
   Stuart

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 15:22:51 »
Apologies for intruding on this forum everyone but question for Kelly about CF1 on the Frua forum....

Thanks [:I]

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 00:38:57 »
I am sorry to report that Linda Scott died in 2012.  Tim if you would like Linda's last address please e-mail me.  Her family may still be residing there and may be able to help you.

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:16:23 »
Kelly,
   Thanks for the sad update on Linda.  I have periodically checked with my Cal Club friends Frankie Monise and Jerry Barker from time to time about what they remembered about Linda or her whereabouts but I always struck out.

Regards, Bert

PS. There is another photo of Linda in Bill Love's Ace on the Henry Ford website that features Dave Friedman's photography.  Dave took the photo at the Cal Club sponsored Santa Barbara race in June 1958.

stuartu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 17:50:29 »
I'm sorry to hear that Kelly but thank you for informing us.
   Regards,
   Stuart